🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Red Flag Client
Page options
46d8e1e9
Community Member

Red Flag Client

Hello,

• Three Months ago I agreed with the client to do 10 thumbnails for $20. I accepted the offer, as he said he hired the whole team and will provide the assets along the way for youtube automation. ( I know my first mistake accepting the offer without having assets of the first milestone )
• He added the whole team to Trello and After 1 or 2 youtube videos, he created the WhatsApp group for fast communication (within 10 days), As the contract was in place we shared our WhatsApp no as it's not Against the TOS.
• In the first 75 days we only did 5 youtube videos, we (the team) asked him a few times what the reason he said he was on a business trip, and moreover, said don't worry we will continue within a day or two.
And then he gets vanished

Now I and the client;
• After receiving an email from Upwork, I asked politely to either release the full payment or half by doing so our contract will become active and we will have more time to complete the batch of 10 thumbnails. He said he will think about it and let me know tomorrow. I remind him twice but in 14 days he did nothing.
• later on, I received a refund request (initiated by Upwork automatically due to inactivity), After two to three days, I just released the whole amount as we did only half of the work instead of disputing a file. (as Its a very small amount to dispute a file)
• I discussed with him the last time, He said don't worry he will leave good feedback and also create a new contract.

I knew all the time (after 75 days period) he is trying to scam us. I was just trying to have mutual collaboration whole the time to keep my JSS safe.

My questions are;
• How it will affect my JSS for now? if he leaves negative feedback or If he doesn't leave feedback at all (although I had refunded the full amount)
• Is there anything, I can still do to keep my JSS safe? (I know, I know my mistakes... But I have learned a lot from this worst experience I had.
• I have left the Whatsapp group and Trello board, Do I need to worry about these?

In the end, I wanted to report the Client because he not only scammed me (though there are tons of my mistakes too) but also he is trying to scam my one team member in the same way (I noticed a few days before leaving the WhatsApp group).

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi Mohsin,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Generally, if an account is close to becoming dormant and not going to be active again before the 90 days end, we encourage freelancers and clients to work together to decide who will receive the funds in escrow and to request the release of funds.

If an account does become dormant, we will follow the process outlined in section 4 of the Fixed Price Service Contract Escrow Instructions in Upwork’s Terms of Service.

By default, the amount in escrow will be refunded to the client but not without the freelancer's approval. Please know that you can dispute the refund request in order for the case to be forwarded to a dispute agent. Our dispute team would then help you in reaching an amicable solution, just as releasing a partial payment to the freelancer, should both party agrees.

In your case, since you refunded all the amount to the client, they will not be able to leave public feedback but they can still give private feedback.

I would suggest that if you have evidence, you may report suspicious client activities to our team so we can investigate and take appropriate actions based on our internal processes. Please check this article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
46d8e1e9
Community Member

Looking forward to hearing from you guys
Thanks in Advance 🙂

759e32fa

Hi Mohsin,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Generally, if an account is close to becoming dormant and not going to be active again before the 90 days end, we encourage freelancers and clients to work together to decide who will receive the funds in escrow and to request the release of funds.

If an account does become dormant, we will follow the process outlined in section 4 of the Fixed Price Service Contract Escrow Instructions in Upwork’s Terms of Service.

By default, the amount in escrow will be refunded to the client but not without the freelancer's approval. Please know that you can dispute the refund request in order for the case to be forwarded to a dispute agent. Our dispute team would then help you in reaching an amicable solution, just as releasing a partial payment to the freelancer, should both party agrees.

In your case, since you refunded all the amount to the client, they will not be able to leave public feedback but they can still give private feedback.

I would suggest that if you have evidence, you may report suspicious client activities to our team so we can investigate and take appropriate actions based on our internal processes. Please check this article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you Annie for your reply, I will go through these articles
How my JSS will be Affected, If he leaves negative private feedback or doesn't leave feedback at all?

Hi Mohsin,

If he doesn't leave feedback, your JSS will remain the same but if he leaves negative feedback, this will be deducted from your JSS. 

~ AJ
Upwork

If he leaves negative feedback it will be deducted from my JSS, But why?

I did half of the work and instead of asking for half of the money or even disputing a file I just tried to collaborate with him.
Even, I released the full refund and still, his negative feedback will go against me.

it doesn't seem fair

It's not my fault everything happened just because of him.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members