🐈 Community
ghahmedkhi

Redesign the Payment window of fixed contract of Client account.

This message for the higher authorities of Upwork global inc. Please Redesgin the payment window of fixed contract of client side because for example  client made payment 100 USD and then he think freelance fully recieved 100 USD but not. this payment included upwork service fees. if freelancer say about that things to client i dont recieved full payment client dont understand because from his side its not showing any thing that how much money freelancer will recieve. please redesgin the payment window of client side because he should know how much i sent to freelancer and how much he recieved. Please consider this issue as soon as possible. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Hi Ghulam,
I believe it's the freelancer's responsibility to include the Upwork's 10% service fee in his bid. For example, if a freelancer wants to earn $100 from a project he should put $110 in his proposal (including the Upwork's 10% service fee) and not $100. However I like your idea about displaying the service charges of Upwork to the clients but I think clients will feel a little bit discouraged if they see that Upwork is charging 10%.

@Shehan F wrote:

Hi Ghulam,
I believe it's the freelancer's responsibility to include the Upwork's 10% service fee in his bid. For example, if a freelancer wants to earn $100 from a project he should put $110 in his proposal (including the Upwork's 10% service fee) and not $100. However I like your idea about displaying the service charges of Upwork to the clients but I think clients will feel a little bit discouraged if they see that Upwork is charging 10%.

Yes. It's clearly labeled on the freelancer's side, and some (myself included) consider the fees to be "our burden" rather than the burden of our clients. If I feel that the rate is fair, I will take the 10% cut on what I intended to make. If the rate is obviously a low-ball (but not enough to where I won't do it), I'll add in the 10%.

You (the freelancer) received ample warning of the fee when you placed your bid. It is up to you at that point to adjust your price based on the fees. Once you've accepted a contract at the rate you've accepted it, that is the agreed upon price - whether you "forgot" to add in the fee or not.

- Barbara Herrera -

Hi Shehan,

Yes you are right i dont say that, client confuse or discourage but client should know that 10% fees charged to freelancer not him. because many times freelancer need job he can't decline and hardly have to accept its not only have the issue of one freelancer i am talking about present situation of freelancer which have to bear. 

Ghulam,

The fee is nothing at all to do with the client. You need to work it into your proposals and your rates, the same as any other business has to work it's costs into the final price.

When you go into a supermarket you don't see anything on the prices of the goods for Sale which explain how they are arrived at.

You see $ 50

You don't see

Material $ 12

Labour $ 8

Transport $ 5

and so on.

As the fee is 10%  for all freelancers it does not put you at a disadvantage.

Clients don't care and you don't want to make it confusing.

When I go to the store, I don't care about the logistics of how they got to a certain price. Just tell me how much it costs. 

When someone says they have a budget of $100, I bid $110. 

As a client on here why would I want to know or even care what happens with YOUR business. 

Don't tell me your personal woes. I only want to hire someone and have my work done and pay for it.