cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referring people who aren't on Upwork to my Upwork client?

dalandanux
Ace Contributor
David P Member Since: Nov 18, 2015
1 of 16

Hi,

One of my clients on Upwork is looking to add a freelancer with a different specialty to our team.  I know of someone who may be a fit for this, but this person is not on Upwork. 

Two questions here:

1. Do Upwork policies allow me to recommend this person to my client? 
  2. Am I allowed to give that person a referral to my client?

Thanks,
David

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
2 of 16

I don't see why not. Would be more profitable for Upwork to allow it.

Didn't they actually have a "referral link" set up for us to use to refer people outside of Upwork to the platform a while back anyway? Think they did, but I could be wrong lol.

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 16

Hi David,

Having your colleague sign up on Upwork and pointing your client to them (or pointing the freelancer to a job posted by your client) isn't a problem. 

dalandanux
Ace Contributor
David P Member Since: Nov 18, 2015
4 of 16

Hi Garnor (and Dawn),

Thanks for getting back to me.  I'm not sure that the person I would recommend would join Upwork.  Could I do this if they don't join (e.g. they contact my client by email)?

Thanks,

David

d_lidwell
Community Guru
5 of 16

Again, I could be wrong, but it should be fine. It's up to him/her whether or not s/he wants to join Upwork. But, if he does join, he must follow the ToS, including keeping the work (and payment) through the platform.

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
6 of 16

Ah, now that's a bit trickier David and would run dangerously close to our policies on non-circumvention (see Sec. 7). The best advice here is to ask your colleague to join Upwork. If they prefer not to and you'd still like to pursue, try contacting our support team for further guidance.

d_lidwell
Community Guru
7 of 16

How is it running "dangerously close" to that policy, Garnor, when the freelancer in question isn't even on the platform yet. The client is, yes. But, the freelancer is not yet, so how do the policies have any effect here?

He's asking to refer a currently non-upwork freelancer to the platform for the purposes of his client hiring that freelancer through the platform. Should that freelancer choose not to use the platform is up to him. Further, should the client choose to still hire the freelancer outside of Upwork, Upwork's policies should not effect that relationship since the initial start of the contract between that client and freelancer did not initiate on the platform.

It would be like me referring a friend of mine (who is a freelancer but does not currently work on any platforms) referring that friend to one of my clients who is looking to expand their writing team. But my friend would prefer not to work on a platform and instead handle the contract privately. There's nothing wrong with this, nor does it go against any policies in place since the contract never actually started on the platform itself.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 16

@Garnor M wrote:

Ah, now that's a bit trickier David and would run dangerously close to our policies on non-circumvention (see Sec. 7). The best advice here is to ask your colleague to join Upwork. If they prefer not to and you'd still like to pursue, try contacting our support team for further guidance.

Garnor, I really don't think so.

David and the client are obliged to work through upwork.

David's client and David's friend are not.

If I suggest a great hairdresser to my client that hairdresser won't have to cut her hair through Upwork.

David's client and David's friend did not connect on Upwork, hence unless they want to take advantage of it they do not have to. David's client is not restricted to hire only through Upwork. David's friend isn't even ON Upwork.

and979
Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
9 of 16

Maybe Upwork should think about it and offer sort of a 'reward' for each freelancer that lands on this platform thanks to another freelancer already working on Upwork. After 'Top Rated' ... 'Top Recruiter'! Smiley Wink

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 16

@Andrea B wrote:

Maybe Upwork should think about it and offer sort of a 'reward' for each freelancer that lands on this platform thanks to another freelancer already working on Upwork. After 'Top Rated' ... 'Top Recruiter'! Smiley Wink

More freelancers is not what Upwork needs. As far as I am concerned the bottom 20% - 30% could comfortably and profitably be lost.

What's needed is more CLIENTS.

A reward for bringing on a new client, to be paid when that client has paid $ 5 000 on the platform, would be a much better idea.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS