Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresher Community Guidelines

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
1 of 11

In light of some recent occurrences I decided to refresh myself on Lena E's post of "Upwork Community Guidelines

from 10/14/16.  For anyone that's interested in doing the same here's the link: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Basics/Upwork-Community-Guidelines/m-p/259905#U259905

Her post states that "...Community needs a few guidelines..."  which I totally agree with.  However, there's definitely more than a few listed, and they are not "exhaustive."  Also, many of us have violated one or more of the guidelines; some have violated them numerous times.  The violation I've personally noticed the most is:  "...hate speech, insults, disruptive or hostile comments, interpersonal disputes..."  

The Mods "have full discretion to remove...," but they're "not obligated to remove..."  That may explain why we continue to read posts in violation; including from some of the highest earners on the platform.

I'm very curious to know how the following is determined:  post removal, PM removal, warning, board sanction, and/or suspension.  IMO what's most important is that we all be treated equally.  From my personal observance, I'm not convinced that that's always the case. 

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 11

guilty.jpg

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 11

Hi Pat,

Thanks for bringing attention to our guidelines. The goal  of the Community Guidelines is to allow for a professional and productive conversation about all aspects of Upwork. Our team moderates the forums as best we can in accordance with our Community Guidelines, and our team members will take appropriate action on comments or discussions that we feel are in violation our guidelines, to maintain the well being of our Community and the members within it, as Garnor outlined in the guidelines.

Not all violations have the same weight and are treated in the same way, so feel free to use the option to flag a comment and send it to our team for review. We do treat all the participants equally, communicate with members directly regarding the posts we've addressed or behaviour we have an issue with, and only in the most egregious cases restrict forum posting ability temporarily or permanently when all other options have been exhausted.

Untitled
purplepony
Community Guru
4 of 11

Vladimir, thanks for responding.  I'd referred to Lena's post from "Community Basics" in 10/16 but do see that Garnor posted the information in "Announcements" in 10/14.

Regarding communicating with members directly regarding posts addressed, Valeria has communicated with me previously regarding posts she's decided to edit which I've greatly appreciated.  However, no one else has communicated with me regarding posts that have been edited.  Most of my posts have not been edited, but there have been a few...     

vladag
Community Manager
5 of 11

Hi Pat,

We do strive to notify users if their accounts are removed but would assume this might be hard when we're experiencing a high volume of posts/private messages that require or attention, or remove a string of comments as replies to a post which was addressed, in which case only the user who posted the addressed comment would be notified.

Untitled
purplepony
Community Guru
6 of 11

Hi Vladimir, thanks for the additional information.  I can quite imagine "when it rains it pours" and believe I have previously witnessed that myself.

However, IMO if an individual's account is removed or even close to having said done, notifying them should be a priority.  To me that would simply be common courtesy and respect.       

vladag
Community Manager
7 of 11

Hi Pat,

To clarify, I was addressing your question regarding cases when a user's comment is removed from a discussion. We always send notifications in case a user's account or Community access is being actioned, regardless of other activities in the Community.

Untitled
purplepony
Community Guru
8 of 11

Hi Vladimir, 

Thanks for the clarification.  It's greatly appreciated!  Smiley Wink 

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
9 of 11

@Pat M wrote:

That may explain why we continue to read posts in violation; including from some of the highest earners on the platform...

IMO what's most important is that we all be treated equally.  From my personal observance, I'm not convinced that that's always the case.  

Thanks for pointing that out - I've noticed this as well...

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
10 of 11

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

@Pat M wrote:

That may explain why we continue to read posts in violation; including from some of the highest earners on the platform...

IMO what's most important is that we all be treated equally.  From my personal observance, I'm not convinced that that's always the case.  

Thanks for pointing that out - I've noticed this as well...

What's with the red font?  Is it really bloody to be a high-earner at this platform?  Anyway, I'm glad to "see" you again.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS