🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refund Request and Communication Outside of U...
Page options
karlaebert
Community Member

Refund Request and Communication Outside of Upwork

My client requested a refund on part of an hourly contract. I don't agree with their assessment of the work, but I'm willing to give a partial refund because I'm a kind person and I want my clients to be happy with my work. They are now sending additional stipulations to my email (outside of Upwork) demanding the full amount be refunded by a specific date. What are my options? And is this appropriate behavior by the client? Sorry...I have never been asked for a refund, so I'm clueless here.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Karla E wrote:
My hours were logged during the week of 02-08 December. Yes, I typically use the Tracker with activity, and I like to think my notes are meaningful. Occasionally, I have to input manual time, for example if I am on a call with the client (which doesn't show activity on the Tracker). Since the project is closed, I am having trouble accessing my hourly timesheet from that week to check the tracked hours.

In that case, just offer the refund you originally planned to give, and see if the client actually files a dispute (chances are he won't, and the worst that can happen if he does, is that you lose any manual time.)

Why is the client only now coming up with the idea that they want a refund?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Karla E wrote:

My client requested a refund on part of an hourly contract. I don't agree with their assessment of the work, but I'm willing to give a partial refund because I'm a kind person and I want my clients to be happy with my work.

How long ago were the hours logged?

Did you use the tracker with decent activity levels and meaningful work memos?

There is no rule that prevents a client from asking for a refund via email or by any other means.

What you should do next depends on the answer to the questions above.

My hours were logged during the week of 02-08 December. Yes, I typically use the Tracker with activity, and I like to think my notes are meaningful. Occasionally, I have to input manual time, for example if I am on a call with the client (which doesn't show activity on the Tracker). Since the project is closed, I am having trouble accessing my hourly timesheet from that week to check the tracked hours.

Karla E wrote:

In that case, just offer the refund you originally planned to give, and see if the client actually files a dispute (chances are he won't, and the worst that can happen if he does, is that you lose any manual time.)

Why is the client only now coming up with the idea that they want a refund?

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "And is this appropriate behavior by the client?"

No.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members