🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refund Request
Page options
juliebearranguez
Community Member

Refund Request

What if I dont give the refund that client requested since for me its invalid? Will upwork automatically deduct it on my current balance?

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Refuse the invalid refund request. Upwork will NOT deduct the money.

That's good to hear that Upwork will not deduct it. Thank you so much.

You are welcome to tell us more.

It sounds like this client was way out of line.

There is rarely a valid reason for clients to use that Request Refund button.

I think most clients who click it are just trying to get free money, without any regard whatsoever for the freelancer as a fellow human being.

Clients have ample time to review work as part of the regular process before releasing milestone escrow funds (14 days!) or in the week after hourly work is logged to the work diary.

This is plenty. These refund requests after work has already been done and approved are nefarious.

petra_r
Community Member

Juliebe A wrote:

What if I dont give the refund that client requested since for me its invalid? Will upwork automatically deduct it on my current balance?

That depends. Is the client disputing last week's hours? If so, unless you react, Upwork will indeed take the money from your balance.

Please can you explain what happened, and for which week the client is asking for a refund.

Hourly disputes are decided purely on the work diary. (All hours are tracked, have decent activity levels, meaningful work memos and only show work related screenshots.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Juliebe, 

I checked your account, and the refund request, and can confirm that this will not be automatically refunded back to your client unless you approve the refund for the specific invoice.

I would recommend that you try to sort this misunderstanding with your client. It would be beneficial to your relationship if both you and your client can settle the issue amicably. I hope that if you and your client decide to end your relationship, it ends on a positive note. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork

Yes. I will talk to my client whe she gets back. Thank you for your
response. Its a big help.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths