Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund after Contract Closed

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 19

re: "Today (several days later) he is saying he wants a refund for the $500 and that he has initiated a request (not sure if that is true). But I have already received the money and the contract is closed. That is why I am wondering if he can still do anything about it..."

Hopefully the answer is "no."

Hopefully he can not do anything about it.

It is inappropriate for him to even ask.

14 days is a LONG time. This is plenty of time with which to review a freelancer's work and request changes if the freelancer has not done the job that was originally agreed upon.

It is not okay to ask for a refund after the contract has been closed.

It is not okay to ask for a refund if the freelancer did what the original contract called for.

Freelancers should get paid for the work that they do. If a client doesn't like the freelancer's style or the way the freelancer communicates or works or anything else, the client can (and should) decide to stop working with the freelancer immediately.

A disappointed client should no longer work with or hire a freelancer. But that doesn't mean the client should receive a work for legitimately completed work, or work that was submitted as part of a now-closed contract.

nudratgondal
Nudrat N Member Since: Jun 1, 2018
12 of 19

Hello Jen, 

You got through this situation and I just get stuck in it right now, will you help me to resolve it?

jjscaz
Ace Contributor
Jen S Member Since: Jun 4, 2015
13 of 19

Hi Nudrat!

Sorry to hear that you are going through this situation. In my case, although he threated to initiate a refund request through Upwork, I never heard back from his or received a request. So either he didn't go through with it or Upwork did not grant it...not sure which one.

I'm pretty sure if 14 days has passed and you delivered the work, there is no recourse the client can take. I could be wrong though. That was just my experience.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Jen

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 19

Nudrat N wrote:

You got through this situation and I just get stuck in it right now, will you help me to resolve it?

The client can initiate a dispute up to 30 days after the last payment was made milestone was funded or while there are any funds in Escrow.

loaiawad
Louay A Member Since: Apr 29, 2019
15 of 19
Hi.
The client has No right to refund any part of money after he or she accepted /release the payment to the freelance.
Moreover,the client has no right to ask the freelance to modify/or change or revision AFTER release the payment for any milestone Unless he or she submit "change order" proposal a new contract.

Another thing is that,if for some reason, the client doesn't fund any Milestone or even doesn't active Milestone (keep it inactive), in this case,You can profom his or her work But don't deliver the work/project to the client for two reasons

Firstly, Upwork doesn't care about the deadlines to deliver the project to the client.This means Upwork consider the client first..and the freelance is the product which needs to more viewers to get a new job. Don't considering deadlines high priority will impact on the freelancers negatively.

Secondly, There's no guarantee that Upwork will collect your money from the client.

For more information,I highly recommend you to read section (Instructions Irrevocable) under Fixed-Price Escrow instructions.

The amazing thing is that, Upwork doesn't follow this section.

Keep me posted.
Thank you
Loai

petra_r
Community Guru
16 of 19

Louay A wrote:
Hi.
The client has No right to refund any part of money after he or she accepted /release the payment to the freelance.
Moreover,the client has no right to ask the freelance to modify/or change or revision AFTER release the payment for any milestone Unless he or she submit "change order" proposal a new contract.

According to the terms of service the above is factually incorrect.

You do know that you (and Will) are responding to a post from 3 years ago?

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
17 of 19

Petra,

As I have told you before, I pay no attention to when a post was originally made. The problems described by one freelancer at any point in time are likely to continue to be experienced by future freelancers.

petra_r
Community Guru
18 of 19

Will L wrote:

I pay no attention to when a post was originally made. The problems described by one freelancer at any point in time are likely to continue to be experienced by future freelancers.

True. Point taken.

The problem is that the rules have changed since 2017. So people could be relying on outdated info. 3 years ago the deadline to dispute was 30 days after the last payment was released. Now it's 30 days after the milestone was funded.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
19 of 19

Jen,

As you may know, under Upwork's rules the only way to enforce full payment under any fixed price project is to go to arbitration, which will cost you $291 upfront and eat up your valuable time with providing information, answering the arbitrator's question, etc. It would also cost the client $291, which will get their attention and possibly shut down their insistence on an unjustified refund.

The first step, if the client actually files a refund request with Upwork, is mediation with the aim to reach a compromise of some sort, which you may or may not want to agree to. (You have a  choice and may decide that a refund of, say, 10% is a better use of your time than going through the uncertain process of arbitration that might or might not lead to a no refund decision by the arbitrator.)

None of this matters if the client doesn't submit a formal refund request to Upwork.

Good luck!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS