cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund after Contract Closed

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 14

re: "Today (several days later) he is saying he wants a refund for the $500 and that he has initiated a request (not sure if that is true). But I have already received the money and the contract is closed. That is why I am wondering if he can still do anything about it..."

Hopefully the answer is "no."

Hopefully he can not do anything about it.

It is inappropriate for him to even ask.

14 days is a LONG time. This is plenty of time with which to review a freelancer's work and request changes if the freelancer has not done the job that was originally agreed upon.

It is not okay to ask for a refund after the contract has been closed.

It is not okay to ask for a refund if the freelancer did what the original contract called for.

Freelancers should get paid for the work that they do. If a client doesn't like the freelancer's style or the way the freelancer communicates or works or anything else, the client can (and should) decide to stop working with the freelancer immediately.

A disappointed client should no longer work with or hire a freelancer. But that doesn't mean the client should receive a work for legitimately completed work, or work that was submitted as part of a now-closed contract.

Nudrat N Member Since: Jun 1, 2018
12 of 14

Hello Jen, 

You got through this situation and I just get stuck in it right now, will you help me to resolve it?

Ace Contributor
Jen S Member Since: Jun 4, 2015
13 of 14

Hi Nudrat!

Sorry to hear that you are going through this situation. In my case, although he threated to initiate a refund request through Upwork, I never heard back from his or received a request. So either he didn't go through with it or Upwork did not grant it...not sure which one.

I'm pretty sure if 14 days has passed and you delivered the work, there is no recourse the client can take. I could be wrong though. That was just my experience.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Jen

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 14

Nudrat N wrote:

You got through this situation and I just get stuck in it right now, will you help me to resolve it?

The client can initiate a dispute up to 30 days after the last payment was made.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS