🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refund connect
Page options
virtualpina
Community Member

Refund connect

Hi, recently I submit proposals on 3 jobs and there was option in the section If the seller doesn't hire me the connects will refunded but the job is closed now and I didn't get no refund

19 REPLIES 19
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "there was option in the section if the seller doesn't hire me the connects will refunded"

I am sorry about any confusion you had about this. There is no such option.

re: "but the job is closed now and I didn't get a refund"

You will not receive a refund. Sorry.

You may have seen something that said connects are "refunded if client doesn't hire."

That is different from "refunded if client doesn't hire YOU."

Preston H wrote:

re: "there was option in the section if the seller doesn't hire me the connects will refunded"

I am sorry about any confusion you had about this. There is no such option.

re: "but the job is closed now and I didn't get a refund"

You will not receive a refund. Sorry.

You may have seen something that said connects are "refunded if client doesn't hire."

That is different from "refunded if client doesn't hire YOU."

Ignore previous response - I didn't realise that the OP was confused about receiving a personal job guarantee.

Hi Preston, 

I think the OP is referring to this announcement thread. You may check out Lena's post for more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork

I 100% agree that it is AMBIGUOUS. OF COURSE people would interpret "doesn't hire" as meaning "doesn't hire you". It is literally grammatically and pragmatically ambiguous. I am a copyeditor with a degree in linguistic anthropology and training in discourse analysis. The referent established in the context is "the freelancer" because it is the freelancer's connects we are talking about.

timefighter11
Community Member

Elsa P wrote:

Hi, recently I submit proposals on 3 jobs and there was option in the section If the seller doesn't hire me the connects will refunded but the job is closed now and I didn't get no refund

The Notice Says:
"Connects for this job will be refunded if the client closes the job or it expires without anyone being hired."
That mean connects will only be refunded when the job expires without anyone hired, not only you. 
Or client no longer want anyone to work on this project. 
If he/she is hiring someone else, you have wasted your connects. 

So no difference between "refund connects" and not refunded connects.. ultimately both are the same ...  we dont get our connects no matter what .

petra_r
Community Member

Elsa P wrote:

The new Beta program is not for all jobs, only those included in the test.

The client may have hired someone or the job was not included in the test if you haven't got your connects back. It doesn't say if the client does not hire YOU - it's if the client doesn't hire ANYONE.

Just because a job is closed does not mean that nobody was hired, or that the job was part of the test.

56205ee1
Community Member

Its not fair, if i am not hired then my connects are wasted without any good reason. UPWork should refund the connects to all free lancer's that are not hired against the applied proposals. 

Refund of Connects Policy should be revised looking at the overall impact and in benefit of the free lancers. Otherwise you will lose talented free lancers as soon as they are finished with their connects.

petra_r
Community Member

Hussaini E wrote:

Its not fair, if i am not hired then my connects are wasted without any good reason. UPWork should refund the connects to all free lancer's that are not hired against the applied proposals. 

No, they should not. That would defeat the purpose entirely. 

Hussaini E wrote:

Refund of Connects Policy should be revised looking at the overall impact and in benefit of the free lancers. Otherwise you will lose talented free lancers as soon as they are finished with their connects.

Upwork has too many freelancers already and is being flooded with more every single day. Losing freelancers is the least of its worries.

Refunding connects does not benefit freelancers. It just floods the market and the jobs with proposals. Everyone earns less as a result.

You may buy connects when you are finished with the free ones.

Hi Petra

I'm with you about the connects purpose

But indeed, UpWork is making us a little dirty when:

- it could add a simple "you" at the end of the "refunded if client doesn't hire"

- it shouldn't have that note appearing on jobs with already a Hires number greater than 0, too

Just asking for plain fairness

Riccardo C wrote:

- it could add a simple "you" at the end of the "refunded if client doesn't hire"

But that would be completely wrong! Connects are not refunded if the client does not hire YOU.

They are refunded if the client does not hire ANYONE

I am at a loss how so many people imagine it to mean "you"

It's also clearly explained when clicking on the blue dot.

nobody hired.png

Yes, I should have written:

add a simple "ANYONE"  at the end

Since so many pepole regret with this issue it means that it's not that clear while it'd take so little to improve the communication, without having to go a step further by clicking the blue dot

and still there remains the second point of my list

my feeling of a dirty thing is still all there

exactly, i bought connect and nothing gets any. so it is a waste. can someone from upwork please clarify. I sent so many proposal. Not sure how the upwork works but still aiming to get the job at least. maybe the algorithm of the upwork is randomly showing for members and vip.

Please assist to refund those not selected for projects.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Joey,

We return Connects only when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.
I would also like to clarify that when you send a proposal, the client is able to view it review your profile. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Elsa, 

I checked the two recent proposals that you sent out where your proposals were archived. For both jobs, both clients were able to hire one freelancer (for each job post). In this case, Connects used for the proposals you sent out will not be returned. You may read more about it here. 

~ Avery
Upwork
75d45819
Community Member

Upwork connects should be refunded even if client hired another freelancer. Just imagine you bidded 40 connects for that posting and that means you gamble $6 for 40 connects. What's the advantage mainly of having more connects submitted? I think Upwork is trying to copy **Edited for Community Guidelines** strategy by having this bidding war.

Hi Ernesto,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear how you feel. Connects charged for submitting proposals without boosting will not be returned. If you have boosted your proposals using additional Connects and did not win the top 3 spots or receive any eligible interactions from the client while boosted, your additional Connects used for boosting proposals will be refunded. Please note that you’ll be charged exactly what you bid if your proposal occupied a boosted slot at some point and received an eligible interaction from the client while boosted. Check out this help page for more information.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

So what if the client is unresponsive over a week and you decide to withdraw your proposal, are the connects returned?

If they interacted and i wasnt successful, thats bad and not so bad. But if they just disappear should i keep giving upwork money so i can send messages to unresponsive people?

Hi Hillside,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We only return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members