cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund connects when application's withdrawn, please

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
1 of 116

I have posted frequently in oDesk Community but never created a new message until now. I hope it receives plenty of attention from everyone, including oDesk staff.

There's a well-known problem of clients who post jobs for which they hire no one. Prior to connects, freelancers could deal with this by withdrawing their application. They still can, but at the cost of losing connects. This puts all freelancers in a catch 22, especially freelancers on the Basic plan, which I assume will be the majority of freelancers. Currently, the only way connects can be refunded is when the job is canceled by the client or oDesk. The sort of clients who open a job without hiring anyone are not going to suddenly start canceling their jobs, and I assume oDesk will cancel a job only if the job violates TOS. So freelancers are completely at the mercy of clients if they choose not to hire anyone.

To recap, a freelancer uses 2 connects, applies for a job, no one gets hired, and the freelancer wasted 2 precious connects. What possible harm can it do to return the connects to the freelancer when she or he withdraws the application?

2 of 116

John

Totally  agree with you there might be an other thing Odesk can do.There should be a time limit for a job post for a client to hire someone minimuim a week or two otherwise the job should go to archive automatically to asume that the client is not interested in this job anymore.

So the freelancers will have their connects back after two weeks but i dont think so Odesk will do that.

Ace Contributor
Matthew H Member Since: Mar 27, 2015
3 of 116

From what I recall, under the Connects system if there's no activity on a job for 30 days it gets closed; unfortunately as the Connect refresh period is also 30 days I very much doubt it'll be any help at all -- if you apply for a job next week and nothing happens for 30 days I can't imagine you'll get those Connects added to your total next month -- you just threw them away through no fault of your own.

Essentially we're now going to be punished if a client is lazy or has no intention of hiring anyone, but it's a done deal now and I suspect we're going to have to like it or lump it...

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 116

Matthew, I'm trying to be optimistic here. Clearly, getting connects refunded benefits the freelancer who withdraws the application. At the same time, it benefits freelancers who do not withdraw the application, by reducing the size of the applicant pool. Lastly, it benefits the client by having fewer applications to keep track of. The main justification for connects in the first place is that it makes applications 'stand out' by reducing the number of applications, and allowing applications to be withdrawn wiithout losing connects does just that.

5 of 116

Wrong.

I've placed 30 bids 2 month ago.. Only 1 customer respond.

29 is dead.

You shall take care about "I need to make this quick" customers.

Kishor C Member Since: Dec 14, 2015
6 of 116

Using a connect is our selling power. If our selling power is locked with an application, where the client takes more than two or three weeks just interviewing. How can we even know that the client has seen our changed bid? It happens so many times, that the client is not only interviewing for too many days,but also keep on peeping the post, just in case if someone has lowered the bid; and still the wait game goes on!!!

Noor - Member Since: Feb 6, 2017
7 of 116

110% right

hardik_satasiya Member Since: Jun 21, 2017
8 of 116

It is 100% coorect and right approch for all parties.

its win win condition for all.

so please implement this thing or just let us know that this thing is not going to happen so we live with it.

pelase respond to this issue.

i lost my so many connects and waiting in days for job, not well for my membership as well.

please do something.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 116

@Hardik S wrote:

It is 100% coorect and right approch for all parties.

its win win condition for all.

so please implement this thing or just let us know that this thing is not going to happen so we live with it.

pelase respond to this issue.

i lost my so many connects and waiting in days for job, not well for my membership as well.

please do something.

Never going to happen, buddy.

Some things are just never going to happen here. Return of connects, JSS, changing private feedback, feedback given even if there is a dispute... These things aren't worth arguing over because they aren't taking them away. Maybe tweaking things here or there but they ain't dropping them altogether.

Anna Lynne B Member Since: Apr 23, 2017
10 of 116

Unlikely to happen since we have the option to buy connect equivalent to $1 each.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS