Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund connects when application's withdrawn, please

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
21 of 116

@Dejan H wrote:

I already wrote about that 5 times, but they always ignored me. I propose a 3-day policy (3 days to hire someone). When the deadline is reach, client should be penalized and our connects should be returned. 

3 days?

That seems like a great way to clear the site of all but junk clients. Though there are exceptions, the hiring process for skilled employees or contractors rarely moves that quickly. The stats here, if I recall correctly, have the average hiring time for different types of jobs as between 3 and 7 days, and that's presented as a selling point (presumably because it's so much quicker than the same process often moves in the outside world).

I picked up a job three or four days ago that I bid on January 21. It was completed the next day and paid the day after. It was small, but still, I'm glad Upwork didn't chase that client away with some artificial and unrealistic time constraint. 

Mallesh K Member Since: May 25, 2017
22 of 116

Ya.. I do agree with this 100%

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 116

Hi John,

Thank you for your suggestion. We are closely listening to the Community's imput and have already updated our policy's about returning connects if the client cancels the job. However, we do not expect to force clients to close their job postings since some clients take time to hire or go back to their applicants list to hire after some time.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
24 of 116

Valeria,

Thank you for the courtesy of responding even if my suggestion is not being accepted and no reason given why my suggestion is not acceptable.

25 of 116

Hi Valeria,

I think it would be fair to offer a freelancer the option to retract their offer of service after certain criteria have not been met.

For instance:

- If an account has zero communication with applicants after 48hrs then we the freelancer should be able to withdraw.

- If oDesk is going to continue down this connects route the a freelancer should get a 50% refund for making the effort to connect.  After all were keeping the oDesk client base inundated with options and services?

- I'm loathe to suggest making the platform a pay-for system because I don't want to inhibit the right for those in countries with lower rates of pay to apply but there should be some recompense for those who pay monthly. 

---- I'd happily pay you $10 a month to revert back to the 20 application quota which i can withdraw from and apply daily.  This would stem the tide of fraudulent and repetitive application which we see that no doubt cheapens the client experience.  This still leaves the 60 free connects for thos who maybe cannot afford $10 per month.

I feel as though my last point makes the most sense, You'll see it in the figures over the next few days, the rate of applications will drop, are you really helping your clients by limiting their options?

C'mon... You know it makes sense, let's have a group hug and make up x

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
26 of 116

Hi Valeria,

Understandable! On the other side if the client never hire say after 3 months. oDesk should cancel the job post and return the paid connects to the freelancer. Especially if the freelancer used paid connects to apply for the posting. This is not an unreasonable request! It's  also right and fair.

Your Thoughts Please.....

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
27 of 116

Hi Ian,

A job posting gets automatically closed if there is no activity on it for 30 days. Connects used to apply for it will not get returned in this case. I understand your concern and I have shared it with the team. Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Adam W Member Since: Aug 5, 2015
28 of 116

I have noticed this problem as well. There are a lot of clients posting jobs who never hire, let alone even interview anybody for their supposedly "available" job. Many don't even have a payment method verified but still have several unhired jobs open. It is no secret that a lot of jobs posted on here are for the purpose of getting estimates for outside projects with no intent to hire.

I don't see why it is unreasonable to allow freelancers to withdraw and receive their connects back after 1 week has passed since applying for a job, especially if the client is unresponsive.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
29 of 116

"I don't see why it is unreasonable to allow freelancers to withdraw and receive their connects back after 1 week has passed since applying for a job"

Because then it would be right back to the oDesk system, where unqualified bidders send out a constant stream of useless spam proposals. 30 bids a month is plenty.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Sarah B Member Since: Sep 18, 2015
30 of 116

I don't see how one can send constant spam when they have to wait a full week just to get back 2 connects, or 1 job proposal. It just means that those who applied to spam jobs would actually be compensated for their loss of time and effort to write a cover letter and answer questions to a stooge.

Also, I'd argue that 30 bids a month is not "plenty" when you're a small-project worker like myself who gets $1 per minute of audio they type and often has to apply to anything they can find just to have a chance of earning a living wage. The fact that US-based transcriptionists lose most bids to outsourced ESL speakers willing to do it for a 90% discount also makes it difficult to part with connects - it's literally a needle-in-a-haystack situation trying to find a client who is actually willing to pay for quality & experience.

Sigh...back to wasting connects.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS