cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund connects when application's withdrawn, please

Sarah B Member Since: Sep 18, 2015
31 of 116

Wow, that is awful. I'm new to Upwork but I'm noticing the unrepsonsive client phenomenon is apparently the norm.

I'm really loving it how jobs won't show any activity for an entire day and the client supposedly wants a 24-28 hour turnaround on their project. Or, how they hire and then leave the job active for the rest of the rejected applicants to just figure out for themselves.

Beau B Member Since: Nov 6, 2015
32 of 116

That is a false dilemma. What us freelancers are asking for us simply the ability to be refunded connects when we withdrawl from a job. This benefits the client because only the most commited applicants will risk losing a connect to stay in the game. This benefits freelancers because we avoid losing our connects to less responsive clients. It's a win/win.

However, what you appear to be saying is nothing, and you have nothing to say because you have a profit motive in us losing connects because that means we have us buy extra connects (at $1 a piece). Your company's motive couldn't be more obvious if you wanted to. I wish you would give us the respect we deserve.

As a company, you catch more flies with honey. In the long run, your current policy will result in more people quitting and joining other platforms, and thus lose out on qualified applicants who could charge more money than more desperate applicants who are willing to put up with this nonsense, thus increasing your revenue flow. This is a long-term strategy that appears to fall on deaf ears, but I've said my peace. It's up to Upwork whether or not to listen.

Kishor C Member Since: Dec 14, 2015
33 of 116

Hi,

I feel, there must be a reasonable time limit to finalize a freelancer. Otherwise one can keep the candies for long time, appreciating the taste, and the candy owner cannot offer the test to someone else until you finish with it!! There has to be a time limit for how long you can hold someone's candy. lick it or leave it; let the seller be able to sell it to someone else.

A K M Mazedul H Member Since: Feb 6, 2016
34 of 116

I've understood what you're trying to say. I am facing a problem, while a client hires someone then I don't get connects back. Why? Is there any business consulation for selling membership by upwork? Then why do freelancers come up upwork to find and sell services? I am now having 6 connects, I've withdrawn few proposals while they are unresponsive by means. Still I've plenty of time ahead of the month and I can only send 2 to 3 proposals.

You're taking 10%, on transaction you're taking, on bids you want to. Who has money in the back and tries for the Membership plan with $s and our bids even not been resolute to the client. If employers are your client, So are we. Find a solution and we should not post for any of this reason.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
35 of 116

@A K M Mazedul H wrote:

I've understood what you're trying to say. I am facing a problem, while a client hires someone then I don't get connects back. Why? Is there any business consulation for selling membership by upwork? Then why do freelancers come up upwork to find and sell services? I am now having 6 connects, I've withdrawn few proposals while they are unresponsive by means. Still I've plenty of time ahead of the month and I can only send 2 to 3 proposals.

You're taking 10%, on transaction you're taking, on bids you want to. Who has money in the back and tries for the Membership plan with $s and our bids even not been resolute to the client. If employers are your client, So are we. Find a solution and we should not post for any of this reason.

So you send an application for a job through the mail. The prospect hires someone else. You go to the employer to "withdraw" your application? By the most unlikely of chances, they still have it, can find it, and return it to you along with the envelope it came in. You then take the envelope to the post office and demand that they replace your used and canceled stamp with a new one, because you didn't get the job?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
36 of 116

It's funny cuz the people who run out of connects every month are the ones Upwork is trying to squeeze out.

It's also funny cuz I swear these people don't live in the real world and have never had a real job. I'd rather the 2 bucks and 10 minutes lost for a proposal than those dreaded telephone and onsite technical interviews.

Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
37 of 116

I ran out of connects my first month here. Then I started to learn the platform a little better, and I have not run out of connects a single month since - and I'm actually able to book my time reasonably far in advance. Upwork actually gets more money if you're applying for the jobs you're a good fit for - the 10% of good contracts works out to a LOT more than, what is it, $1 per bid if you have to buy extra connects? (Which isn't actually that unreasonable when you consider the alternatives.)

More than just not running out of connects, though, I've actually had multiple months where I didn't use a single connect. This is the way the system is meant to be used. If you're presenting yourself well, the connects are all but unnecessary. (I actually submitted 4 applications this month I believe - after several months without applying to anything I wasn't personally invited to... My clients talk about me to other clients and I get a chance to decline interview requests to jobs I never applied to, on an almost-daily basis.)

Your connects aren't ACTUALLY limited. Your FREE connects are. Not all sites even offer free communication.

And I've been left hanging on jobs that I was invited to - they liked me enough to invite me to their job, but not enough to hire me, and that's OK. This would be more of a reason for refunding connects because it actually gets our hopes up (invite = good chance to get hired, right?) but I wouldn't even dream of raising a fuss about it, because the system works out well for those of us who know what to do.

Those who don't want to take the time to learn how to use the system properly shouldn't be here. They artificially inflate the talent pool, take contracts from people who would undoubtedly do a better job with the contract, and they ruin the reputation of the platform with the clients. Freelancers who need more connects than the limit for the free ones, who are not willing to pay for them, are not doing anyone any service. If clients don't want you, you're basically a black hole. It's not like you can't just apply to jobs on another platform. Upwork is not unique in that regard - I'm a member of about 5 different platforms - one only allows 10 applications per month and, as far as I've seen, gives no chance for buying more.

Yes, there are bad clients too - but part of the cost of doing work is learning FOR YOURSELF which clients will be bad news. I have yet to have a job go sour on here, because if you know what you're looking for, it's rare that a client will totally surprise you. And if they DO surprise you (remember, a job application is not a job guarantee, so you really shouldn't put your expectations too high) ... You knew it was a risk when you applied, because a) no guarantee and b) the client had no past hires/feedback. If the client DOES have past hires/feedback and does something completely out of line, ACTUALLY against TOS for example, you can report the posting and/or the client and the team will take appropriate action. (But send your reports through to support as well as reporting directly through the appropriate link - if it's that big of a deal to you, you can spend a little extra time and get your connects back. But they're definitely not going to implement a feature that lets you get those precious connects back without you proving that you EARNED them back.

- Barbara Herrera -
Benydic E Member Since: Apr 19, 2016
38 of 116

Hi do you have any updates regarding this concern ms valeria?

Noor - Member Since: Feb 6, 2017
39 of 116

Humble Request

Hello,

I am sufferar of refunding connects issue.

request to Upwork Team

You can make system that one can apply 15 times a day not more if more he need he will upgrade his membership & you can keep 25% of work money but refunding connects to freelacer you should think again

There have many client who dont hire.....so actualy shoud have a limit

Requested By Noor

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
40 of 116

You know what, I used to think oDesk was right with the connects but upon application, my goodness this was chaotic indeed.

I had all the troubles you guys have and right now I'm not even looking to find work until May 1 arrives. I'm down to 4 connects!

I got all my working clients without connects and after a month, it feels as if they're not willing to hire anymore.

I really hope this connects thing is on a dry run this month. I'm not paying $10 just to see my connects drain for nothing. And what's the joke on having your connnects rolled over? It's as if you'll have more than enough per month. More than enough per week, maybe, but per month? LOL

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS