cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund connects when application's withdrawn, please

Community Guru
Julianne G Member Since: Oct 21, 2015
61 of 116

Don't forget the mascara and the gucci heels!  Those things are not cheap, you know.  It's all part of the cost of doing business.  Happy to spend a few bucks a month for connects so I can wear my pajamas every day.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
62 of 116

D***, I miss that outlet Juli, I really do! Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
63 of 116

That's a terrible analogy. The last time I mailed a resume was circa 1990. Uncompensated time spent interviewing is a cost of doing business which is no different in the virtual environment.

Regardless, none of those examples are artificially restricted to nickle and dime the Freelancer.

Community Guru
64 of 116

What analogy?

Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
65 of 116

Postage stamps, time and travel. Good thing Upwork doesn't limit how often I can drive each month.

Community Guru
66 of 116

But that is my point. Upwork's rate for jobhunting and consequent interviewing is relatively cheap.

I have a close relative who is the president of a very large corporation (North America). She does not hire electronically, believe me. So the cost of an interview for the jobseeker in  her company is high. If he or she gets the job, then of course, the outlay would have been worth it. Those who do not get the job, are not reimbursed for either travel or emotional costs.

Community Guru
67 of 116

Seemed like a very suitable analogy to me.  Fine, you don't "mail" a hard copy of your resume.  But the truth remains that there is a cost to doing business online, and a cost of doing business in the real world.  They differ.  You can be sad about "wasted" connects, but that's just because of where you set your expectations.  My application to award ratio (on Elance) is about 1 in 10.  Therefore, I plan my business accordingly as far as how many connects I purchase to get the number of jobs I need.  On UpWork, that ratio is improved, but only because of the small amount of data there is to base that number on.  

Lots of real-world businesses post jobs and then decide to promote from within instead, or restructure and never hire at all.  No one would even think of asking for a return of the time/energy/expense of applying and intervewing for that job.  Clients sometimes place ads on multiple sites, and hire from only one.  UpWork makes money through connects.  If they had to refund all the connects to providers who applied for clients who didn't hire, basicallly UpWork would be providing their services for free to all non-hiring clients.  It has to cost someone.  And if they charged the client, fewer clients would post jobs, because they would be worried about the lost $ if they didn't find anyone.  

Lastly, I'll say that if your invite to award ratio is really low, you might benefit from being extra selective in which jobs you apply for.  Spend time vetting potential clients.  I would think your ratio would improve, and you may even have extra connects at the end of the month.  Very rarely do I use all of mine.

Community Guru
68 of 116

And one more important point to be made.  Paying for connects--or spending your connects--means you have to put something up.  If connects were refunded, I can't even imagine the flurry of bids that would go out to every job.  This reduces (albeit minimally) robot bidding, spam bidding, people who just feel like throwing their hat in the ring, etc.  

I am absolutely willing to pay to have to bid, without refunding.  It shrinks the available pool of bidders into those who are willing to put just a tiny bit on the line to be considered.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
69 of 116

@jason G wrote:

This would be amazing if we could get them back by withdrawing, It's especially hard for someone like me who doesn't often bid under $50/hour when I'm up against cheap laborers who will design for $5/hour.  I have burned through all but 12 of my connects without much to show for it halfway through the month.

I know for certain it's not a problem with my skills or portfolio but more or less my rates, I can't justify underselling myself to compete with people bidding way too low for the projects and as a result I have to burn through a lot of connects to land a real client.

Such fun...

@jason, if you are beaten by people who bid $5/hour, then, there is a huge problem somewhere. Maybe Upwork is not for you, by this I mean Upwork’s clients, or you are targeting the wrong ones.

Nobody does any kind of design for $5/hour. Oh yes, I do. That’s me with Photoshop. If I had Photoshop. And if I knew how to use it. I mean, at $50/hour you are obviously a highly talented pro and clients who choose amateurs instead of pros are not of your type of client. 

So again, either you are going for the wrong ones, or the good ones are not on Upwork. And having more connects to waste wouldn’t change a **bleep** thing.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Emmanuel N Member Since: Dec 23, 2015
70 of 116
You are right, freelancers should have their connects refunded. Most of these clients post jobs without hiring anyone, I applied for about 39 jobs, and these clients haven't hired anyone. Luckily, we have entered a new month and I have new connects, so I don't worry about that anymore.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS