cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund connects when application's withdrawn, please

Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
71 of 116

Question about submitted proposals with no activity by client?

When do they expire and get moved into your archived proposals?

I have several submitted proposals that have been sitting there 4 months.

I have a dozen over 1 month old.

Does Upwork make it clear to clients on how to close out jobs?

Thanks

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
72 of 116

@Stephen R wrote:

Question about submitted proposals with no activity by client?

When do they expire and get moved into your archived proposals?

I have several submitted proposals that have been sitting there 4 months.

I have a dozen over 1 month old.

Does Upwork make it clear to clients on how to close out jobs?

Thanks

Stephen,

It has been posted elsewhere on the forum that a job with no client activity is closed after 30 days, but if the client logs in and views the job that it is not closed. There are some jobs (or were some) that were 3 years old. The question was brought up by Setu about why some of these jobs were still open with no hire after 3 years.

The moderator stated they do not need to hire someone but if they are active in their account, looking at the job in a 30 day period the job stays open. If they do not log back in after the 30 days the job is closed.

I don't know the answer to your question on if Upwork makes it clear to a client on how to close a job. I highly doubt it and it is difficult at best for fixed price jobs to be closed as it does not stick out to close it more next milestone rather then closing. 

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
73 of 116

I disagree. 

I used to be upset when I didn't have any connects left when a job I really wanted came along. 

What happened was that I had to be more discriminating in what job post I spent my connects on.

What will happen if everyone has their connects refunded?

First of all there would be no such thing as connects because they wouldn't be needed if they'd always get returned.

Second there would be an unnecessary flood of applicants for jobs they might not be qualified for. That would stress out clients and qualified freelancers who might be overlooked due to the greediness of the flood of freelancers. 

The system now, although not perfect, provides a sense of structure and we're lucky we don't actually pay per connect. 

Moral of the story is: Be discerning and spend your connects wisely. Make sure you can make a solid pitch on the projects that you're qualified for. You have 30 projects you can bid on in a month. That's not really bad considering not all projects will suit everyone. You might find that once you cut the fat, you'll have connects left at the end of your month. 

Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
74 of 116

I love it each time I get to have my pair of connects back.  But, yes, I agree with Mariska that 60 connects per month is enough.  That way, applications will be more regulated.

Tatev G Member Since: Dec 23, 2012
75 of 116

I don't even know if there's a point in withdrawing application if connects aren't being back. I mean, if I don't want to work for the client, the worst case scenario is he would try to hire me and I would decline. Why even offer withdrawal in the first place, enable withdrawal only when client is missing for 1-2 weeks. Slow hiring clients are just as bad for Upwork as slow responding freelancers.

Debraj Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
76 of 116

Additionaly sometime it happens when you want to apply for a much valuable job and realise there is no connects available. If it would be possible for them to make it instant refund of connects when you withdraw a proposal that would be good. Because when you are giving freelancer to withdraw from a application that mean he/they never going to get hired for that same job. And a connect is waisted. So, basically if you have a withdraw facility yiu should have instant refund of connects as well. Otherwise there is no sense of withdraw an application.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
77 of 116

@Debraj wrote:

Additionaly sometime it happens when you want to apply for a much valuable job and realise there is no connects available. If it would be possible for them to make it instant refund of connects when you withdraw a proposal that would be good. Because when you are giving freelancer to withdraw from a application that mean he/they never going to get hired for that same job. And a connect is waisted. So, basically if you have a withdraw facility yiu should have instant refund of connects as well. Otherwise there is no sense of withdraw an application.

no 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
78 of 116

@Debraj wrote:

So, basically if you have a withdraw facility yiu should have instant refund of connects as well. 

No!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
79 of 116

Ok. And why do you think Upwork has set a limit on connects in the first place?? - to then allow you the chance to withdraw applications and get your connects back?? It doesn't make sense, does it?

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
80 of 116

"So, basically if you have a withdraw facility yiu should have instant refund of connects as well. Otherwise there is no sense of withdraw an application."

Exactly, no sense in withdrawing your applications.

So don't withdraw them. Simples.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS