cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund connects when application's withdrawn, please

Kishor C Member Since: Dec 14, 2015
81 of 116

There are three kinds of clients who don't respond, or don't hire anyone; 1) Those who don't know what they want, 2) Those who don't get the right candidate for the job from the pool of applying freelancers, and 3) Those who don't get freelancers within their budget (this one is hard to believe!).

Anyways, here is my thought (and the highly qualified MBAs of this platform should note this):

1) "NULL" hiring is not good for the buiseness of this website.

2)  Connects of some qualified freelancers may get wasted in the first scenarion, I mentioned above.

3) Some qualified freelancer would loose an option to present their bid to the clients, in the second scenario; because they lost their valuable connects to the clients in the first scenario.

4) the third scenario: for this, I have a universal truth; you get what you are willing to pay for.

I strongly urge upwork to look into the connect refund policy. If their best talent cannot convert a possible hiring event (because of non-availability of connets), UPWORK looses a possible opportunity of revenue making. I case of such NULL (hiring) events, if the connects are refunded, more freelancers are available to present their proposals to convert the second scenario (as mentioned in the begining) into an hiring event.

I hope, the MBAs of this platform, who are reading this message, think over it.

Thanks.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
82 of 116

Kishor, this won't happen. For the record, the most successful freelancers here don't ask for more connects nor for refunds, mostly because their hiring rate is high and they don't need more connects.

Those who are in desperate need of connects are those who from one reason or another struggle to get hired. Not necessary because they're not skilled, even if this is also can be true for some, but because they are in one such overcrowded industry on Upwork that all the connects in the world wouldn't make things any better. Because with limited connects the competition is so strong, it would only be worse with more connects.

And, off topic, a kind advice: you should make your profile compliant to the Upwork's terms of service very quick if you don't want to kiss it good-bye.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
83 of 116

Hi Rene,

I don't think you read my post carefully. I am not complaining about (my) lost connects !!! If you read it carefully, I have only made a logical sugession to this platform, so that they can generate more revenue. They can convert more of those jobs to a "hiring event" rather that let it lapse; as a "null" event.

Its a shame that I had to explain this.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
84 of 116

Refunding connects will not generate more revenue.  It would cause even more chaos in the bidding process.  More spam bids, more bot bids, more "hire me I'm the best bids", the overload of applicants would send clients running for the hills.  Rene is spot on with his reply.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
85 of 116

Hi

"the overload of applicants would send clients running for the hills", doesn't make any sense. If you have the umbrella of knowledge (about what you want), you would pick the freelancers wisely. the overload of application should not really matter. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
86 of 116

@Kishor C wrote:

Hi

"the overload of applicants would send clients running for the hills", doesn't make any sense. If you have the umbrella of knowledge (about what you want), you would pick the freelancers wisely. the overload of application should not really matter. 

Kishor,

Have you ever posted a job here? If not, you simply don't know what you're talking about. I can tell you that on the client-side, one sometimes really needs to have some patience here and even on former Elance. And I never had more than 15 applicants, I cannot imagine clients who receive 50+ applicants.

No wonder the late oDesk had a hidden folder where some applicants were sent automatically (rightfully or not), just to spare the client the horror of zombie proposals.

And finally, Upwork will not refund connects. Nor increase the amount of connects. You can suggest this as much as you want, they will do what they think is the best for this platform. Which is not what you suggested.

Abd this is a good news for you because the last thing you want is them to do what you suggested. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Aileen D Member Since: Mar 21, 2016
87 of 116

Agreed!

Krishnaiah S Member Since: Apr 21, 2016
88 of 116

Upwork must release conections when job proposal was withdrawn. As a freelancer, I am facing problem with connections. I applied expert level job posting, these clients are not responding quickly to hire a person. Few of them not at all checking applied users profile.

This is very difficulties for freelancer, I recommed release the connections when freelancer withdraw any proposal.

Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
89 of 116
Yes, Upwork should return all the connects back once we are running out of connects! Smiley Wink
Satish Krishna Kum N Member Since: Jan 19, 2016
90 of 116

Yes, Upwork supose to return the connects when they gave the option to "Withdraw Proposal"

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS