🐈 Community
dir_

Refund connects when application's withdrawn!

I Have wasted a lot of connects on clients who never respond to any freelancer , the jop stays more than 1 month without hiring , any way to get my connects back ??

23 REPLIES 23
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alaa,

Connects are only returned when the job is cancelled by the client or Upwork team without a hire.

While some clients take time to hire on their jobs and often come back to review candidates weeks after they posted a job, postings with no activity for more than 30 days are automatically closed.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Why????
80% sumbitted proposals dont reply, dont cancel and their jobs is inactive.
Please include return connects by withdrawn.
Pleasee return function back!!!!!

1. The purpose of the connect system is to limit how often freelancers can apply to jobs. If you could apply to a job and get connects back upon withdrawing the application, every job would get spammed with 100+ proposals.

2. You are competing against other freelancers all using the same rules. If you got your connects back on a failed proposal, so would they. You could apply more but so they could they, and you'd be no further ahead. Clients would just be buried in (mostly terrible) proposals.

They already are.

Upwork needs some sort of quality control. All these fake profiles saying that they are fluent in English when they can't even type 2 sentences is just pathetic. 

i spent all my connect during 4 days, because employer doesnt reply and dont cancel my offer.
Now What i should do??? Wait whole month to get connects? Beсause of inactive employer i didt get any job this time!!!

If you upgrade to Freelancer Plus you get extra connects and can actually buy some if you want. Freelancer Plus is only $10/month.

I have a bit of problem now i have couple of proposal was canceled but upwork didn't refund my connects is there something new happening i don't know about ?

Valeria,

Connects are only returned when the job is cancelled by the client or Upwork team without a hire.

they posted a job, postings with no activity for more than 30 days are automatically closed?

What Connects will be returned after 30 days if automatically closed?

Thanks 

Chan M wrote:

What Connects will be returned after 30 days if automatically closed?

Connects are not returned for jobs that timed out (were automatically closed)

Now that is ridiculous, connects not returning even after job is closed? That is really not beneficial for starting out freelancers or if the person gets unlucky with the clients who don't respond.

To be true, a person tried to hire me here but changed his mind due the tax of every payment.

Expensive tax for companies make them to think 300 times before do anything here. Considering that upwork doesn't give connects per month (more connects is more jobs, more jobs more tax for the platform), it is a waste of money to pay plus plan here.

I send proposals almost one and a half months before but my connects still no return. Can you explain how much they take time?

Saleem A wrote:

I send proposals almost one and a half months before but my connects still no return. Can you explain how much they take time?

They don't return except in very, very rare circumstances.

If you want more connects, you need to buy more.

Marian H wrote:

I am not comfortable to throw money on a gamble like that, cause I am not a gambling man

Then don't.

Marian H wrote:

I also hate people that lie on their resumes. 

What in the world does that have to do with anything? Or do you habitually throw unrelated random facts about yourself into posts?

jordanslon

REFUND MY CONNECTS!!!!

If you spent  wasted all your month's worth of Connects in 4 days you were not applying smartly.

@jaloliddin S wrote:

REFUND MY CONNECTS!!!!

That kind of attitude will get you exactly nowhere. You are not going to get those Connects back, and now have nearly a month to think about how to apply more intelligently next month.........

Petra,

I'd like to know how the platform deal with fake projects posted by some clients. If a fake project is posted or the job expired without any respond to any freelancers, and the client does not receive any punishment, then someone will use this to trick freelancer's connects.

Thanks

I actually agree with Ray.

I do receive connect refunds for jobs that were canceled by the hirer. But why don't we receive the refunds from jobs that have been closed or expired due to inactivity?

I think we will really appreciate it if Upwork can sort this out for us.

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Edison, 

Thank you for participating in the discussion. If a client doesn’t hire and closes their job post, any Connects used to submit a proposal will be returned to you. However, if they do not close the job, no Connects will be returned. We understand this isn’t ideal, and we regularly reach out to clients who have open job posts to encourage them to close them if they don’t intend to hire. Because we know the move to paid Connects has made this issue more important, we have already ramped up our outreach to clients who post jobs and don’t hire, and are looking into other ways to better ensure these jobs get closed so your Connects are returned in these cases.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks for the clarification, Avery.

I may be relatively new, but I think it's a very common problem that freelancers are facing and has been dragging on for a long time.

I am sure many of us are putting in the effort to do up our proposals and make sure that we understand the requirements before expending our Connects for a particular job.

So it will seem unfair to the diligent freelancers as they get "scammed" (can't think of a better word) by ungenuine or phony hirers to use their Connects.

I understand that these hirers are technically the potential paymasters of the platform, but I hope that Upwork will also understand the fact that freelancers (especially those on Upwork Plus) are also paying hard-earned money to continue using the platform.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. (=

That's not ethical, Upwork is just taking the freelancer's money (Connect) when a client do not close the job. Encourage them to close the jobs is just a mere excuse when the right thing to do is refund the connects after 30 days.

Leo S wrote:

That's not ethical, Upwork is just taking the freelancer's money (Connect) when a client do not close the job. Encourage them to close the jobs is just a mere excuse when the right thing to do is refund the connects after 30 days.

Erm, you are late to this party.

Thanks Jennifer :), that's a good news. 

Hi Avery, 

I personally believe that there should be a better way of refunding connects, cause it's very hard, especially for new freelancers, to make a name for themselves if they also have to invest money out of their pockets to just be allowed to apply for jobs they will rarely get. Cause they will not only compete against others like them, but also against more experienced freelancers whom already have a big following. I find it unfair to be honest and I am not comfortable to throw money on a gamble like that, cause I am not a gambling man, and I also hate people that lie on their resumes.