🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Refund deducted automatically
Page options
ibad_rehman
Community Member

Refund deducted automatically

I recieved a notification that "you sent a refund of $xx to yy. But I did not send any. I completed the job successfully (an hourly contract) and got 5 stars as well two weeks ago. I do not know why and how refund has been given (withouh my permission). Please guide me what to do.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Rachna B wrote:

I recieved a notification that "you sent a refund of $xx to yy. But I did not send any. I completed the job successfully (an hourly contract) and got 5 stars as well two weeks ago. I do not know why and how refund has been given (withouh my permission). Please guide me what to do.

Your client failed to pay for your hours and because you did not track them in line with Upwork's hourly protection, Upwork didn't pay you out of their own pocket.

It's not a real refund, it is a reversal of funds that were never paid. Did you use manual time or forgot to add meaningful memos or had low activity levels?

Unless the client comes back and pays, there is nothing you can do.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
petra_r
Community Member

Rachna B wrote:

Your client failed to pay for your hours and because you did not track them in line with Upwork's hourly protection, Upwork didn't pay you out of their own pocket.

It's not a real refund, it is a reversal of funds that were never paid. Did you use manual time or forgot to add meaningful memos or had low activity levels?

Unless the client comes back and pays, there is nothing you can do.

I used manual time and added a memo (these were just 2 hours). 

So Upwork does not make sure that a client could pay or not in hourly contracts (those without hourly protection)?

This is quite concerning in quick jobs.

Rachna:

Make sure clients are payment verified before you work for them. And use the desktop Upwork time-tracker application.

If you do that, and make sure you include adequate memos... Then it sounds like you'll easily qualify for Upwork Payment Protection. If the client's credit card can't be charged, then Upwork will pay you out of their own pocket.

Thank you for help. I will be careful next time. 

But still the criteria for qualifying Upwork Payment Protection looks subjective. I will use it from now on.

Rachna B wrote:

Thank you for help. I will be careful next time. 

But still the criteria for qualifying Upwork Payment Protection looks subjective. 

NOTHING subjective about it. Track your time with meaningful work memos, decent activity levels while doing the work you are hired for, you are protected.

Don't do the above, you are not protected. Very black and white and easy to understand and follow.

The terms 'meaningful' work memos and 'decent' activity levels are subjective. 

Yes, I will track my time with memos. Thank you

re: "The terms 'meaningful' work memos and 'decent' activity levels are subjective."

Upwork Support personnel aren't going to spend a lot time looking at these things if a client tries to dispute time segments.

You don't need detailed rules for these. But if you are worried, I'll make up some rules for you to follow:

If you're actually working during a time period - doing anything other than staring at your screen, your activity levels will be decent. The memos: Just write real memos describing what you are doing. At least 5 words in length for each memo. A single memo can be used for one or two hours. After two hours, go ahead and update the description of what you are doing. If you are changing what you are doing more often, then update more often.

Thank you 🙂

Upwork team are very slow they still haven't contacted with me. I am ni serious problem and they don't want to solve my problem.

Hi upwork
I have completed the task and the client give milestone to me. After 1 day upowrk team message me ( you refunded the amount) i didn't refund any amount.
Please solve my problem as soon as possible.

Rachna B wrote:

This is quite concerning in quick jobs.

Use the tracker. Then you don't need to be concerned.

Rachna B wrote:

I used manual time and added a memo (these were just 2 hours). 

Manual time is not protected.

Hi upwork
I have completed the task and the client give milestone to me. After 1 day upowrk team message me ( you refunded the amount) i didn't refund any amount.

Arsalan A wrote:

Hi upwork

You're about to get told that you violated the Terms of Service (you did) and got scammed (you did), and that Upwork will not help you (they won't).

I assume you are correct in saying you did not take any action to "refund" the client. I am mostly here to remind Upwork that when their system automatically initiates a refund, it is ridiculously if not actionably irresponsible and misleading to attribute that action to either the freelancer or the client.

Sir i didn't violate upwork terms of services.

I am poor boy and i can't bear loss please give my amount back. I have completed my work i did purchase for my client and he gave me milestone but after a day upwork automatically refund my amount. I think upwork is save plateform for freelancer but they did scam with me without asking they refund the amount.

Sending of PUBG UC to client is a violation of terms of service

Then why upwork team not deleted client post if he voilates term of service. J want my money back . Uowork scam wigh me not they are saying sending Pubg UC is against terms of service. I did purchase of 1k$ i can't bear loss i am poor boy please give my amount back.

Upwork told you it is a ToS violation and you chose to ignore it:

Certain uses of the Services are not allowed.
You may not use, or encourage, promote, facilitate, instruct, induce, or otherwise influence or cause others: (1) to use the Services for any activities that violate applicable law or for any other fraudulent or harmful purpose or (2) to transmit, store, display, distribute or otherwise make available content that is illegal, fraudulent or harmful to others.
3.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE
The following are examples of uses that are prohibited on or when using the Services:..
  • [...]
  • Requesting or providing services that primarily concern making purchases on behalf of another, including the purchase of cryptocurrency or NFTs;

At this point you could try to go after the client (who no longer is on Upwork) but there is nothing Upwork or any other freelancer can do for you. How many UC did you send to the client?

I will write on every plateform upwork did scam with me coz when i have given proper they are deleting my post. Kindly give my amount back.

Make sure to get the details right. A client scammed you because you chose to ignore the ToS which would have prevented it from happening otherwise.

That money is GONE. The client never paid and Upwork never scammed you. Upwork is not a platform to trade goods. You are barking up the wrong tree.

Upwork support team are very slow they still haven't contacted with me. I am ni serious problem and they don't want to solve my problem.

What kind of job was that?

Sending of PUBG UC to client

A: Upwork is a plattform to provide services, not to sell goods.

B: By sending a client in-game money you violated the bid about "no money transfer outside Upwork".

You won't see anyof that money again because you violated the ToS:

Certain uses of the Services are not allowed.
You may not use, or encourage, promote, facilitate, instruct, induce, or otherwise influence or cause others: (1) to use the Services for any activities that violate applicable law or for any other fraudulent or harmful purpose or (2) to transmit, store, display, distribute or otherwise make available content that is illegal, fraudulent or harmful to others.
3.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE
The following are examples of uses that are prohibited on or when using the Services:..
  • [...]
  • Requesting or providing services that primarily concern making purchases on behalf of another, including the purchase of cryptocurrency or NFTs;

I did help of client. I did purchase for him. And My client paid me fhen why upwork refund amount. Please give my amount back i am poor boy i want to wadn money on this trusted plateform but they deducted my amount without notifying me please give my amount back. 

Please give my amount back. 

I will write on every plateform upwork did scam with me coz when i have given proper they are deleting my post. Kindly give my amount back.

Please help me maam give my amount back

Arsalan A wrote:

You understand that you're talking to other freelancers, not Upwork staff, right?

So none of us have the power to make good on your foolish bet. And for reasons explained in detail, none of us would be inclined to do so if we had the power.

When and if an Upwork representative responds to this thread, they will be identified by an Upwork badge.

Help me Sir i am very poor 1K$ is my lifetime saving. Please don't refund money to client . Kindly give my amount back

The client never paid that amount with real money. That money do not exist, so it cannot be sent back to you. Money you earned with real jobs should not be used to buy things to strangers with the hope of making quick money. There is no such thing. Please apply to jobs that are related to your field of expertise, keep transactions on Upwork, and it will be better.

Arsalan A wrote:

There is no way in the world you will see any of that money. Nobody can "give it back" because it was never legally there in the first place.

You can try to see if the place where you bought the

Did you not stop to think for a minute why anyone would ever even dream of paying SO much more for PUBG UC via Upwork when there are literally countless ways to buy it for a fraction of the price?

Because he told me upwork is a save platform no one can scam here. Even he paid me and my payment will be available on 10 march but upwork refunded my amount with asking me. Please i request you give my amount back.

Arsalan A wrote:

Because he told me upwork is a save platform no one can scam here. Even he paid me and my payment will be available on 10 march but upwork refunded my amount with asking me. Please i request you give my amount back.

Let's see if you finally understand it:
- You've fallen for a scam. It's your fault for several reasons, but the main one is that out of, greed perhaps?, you were willing to risk a good amount of money with a complete stranger on the internet.
- You broke the Upwork ToS as they have already explained to you and even added the specific rules for you to understand.
- If you have circumvented the ToS, how do you expect Upwork to do something for you? You risk having your account suspended!
- And as they have also repeated to you, the money that you think was there, has never been.

Maybe then, finally, you will stop repeating that Upwork has scammed you (client has scammed you) and stop asking Upwork for money that never existed.
Bad way to learn, sorry, but there is nothing you can do.

Hi Arsalan,

I understand your frustration with the reversal. I see that a lot of information has already been shared here with you by other Community members. I also checked and see that you already have a support case about this issue that has been escalated. You can access it on this page. 
Since we aren't able to share details about a specific case here in a public forum, I encourage you to refer to that support case for any updates. Meanwhile, I'll be closing this thread for further comments.

~ Valeria
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Rachna,

Upwork should always provide you a reason why money is being deducted from your account, but it chooses not to.

But hourly payment protection is a very real level of protection for you, as long as you follow the simple rules for using TimeTracker correctly. 

Never use manual hours unless you know a client well and trust them completely. 

Thank you Will. Yes I always relied on manual system. 

But I realised now since two of my contracts are refunded now. One of them was quite big for me..

Those clients are not replying anymore and probably I can't do anything.

64963dc1
Community Member

Really Sad!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths