🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Refund escrow amount
Page options
codes4u
Community Member

Refund escrow amount

Hi,
I am in dilemma with what to do. I have worked for the client and we are good at the first milestone. Then after 2 months he creates 2nd milestone and doesn't see for 79 days. After 79 days he closes the contract and asked to refund for the first milestone. I files dispute and upwork told me to refund the money and move on. So, What to do in this situation? What happened If I don't give a refund? Is I get blocked so I need to refund.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Mijula B wrote:

Hi,
I am in dilemma with what to do. I have worked for the client and we are good at the first milestone. Then after 2 months he creates 2nd milestone and doesn't see for 79 days. After 79 days he closes the contract and asked to refund for the first milestone. I files dispute and upwork told me to refund the money and move on. So, What to do in this situation? What happened If I don't give a refund? Is I get blocked so I need to refund.

The client wasn't asking for a refund of the first milestone, but for the funds in Escrow for the second milestone. How do i know that? Because you could not possibly file a dispute for the refund request for the first milestone. There is no such function.

If you haven't done the work for the second(!) milestone, approve the request, which will send the funds in Escrow for the second (!) milestoneback to the client. It does **NOT** affect the money you earned for the first milestone in any way.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Mijula B wrote:

Hi,

The client wasn't asking for a refund of the first milestone, but for the funds in Escrow for the second milestone. How do i know that? Because you could not possibly file a dispute for the refund request for the first milestone. There is no such function.

If you haven't done the work for the second(!) milestone, approve the request, which will send the funds in Escrow for the second (!) milestoneback to the client. It does **NOT** affect the money you earned for the first milestone in any way.

codes4u
Community Member

So, the Escrow amount doesn't go back to the client itself after they ended the contract? And Currently, I don't have Available money.

petra_r
Community Member

Mijula B wrote:

So, the Escrow amount doesn't go back to the client itself after they ended the contract? And Currently, I don't have Available money.

No. Money in Escrow only goes back to the client if

1. you approve the return the request
  2. you don't dispute
  3. or if you ignore the request to return Escrow funds for 7 days

You filed a dispute, so the funds in Escrow don't go back to the client.

You don't have to have available money. You don't need any.

Again, the request is for funds in Escrow, not any money you were already paid.

codes4u
Community Member

Oh, Thank you for the solution. I will refund the money then. I chat with the bot they didn't give a clear answer than you did. Thank you for clarifying me. 

petra_r
Community Member

Mijula B wrote:

Oh, Thank you for the solution. I will refund the money then. I chat with the bot they didn't give a clear answer than you did. Thank you for clarifying me. 

Don't do a refund. Just say in the dispute that misunderstood and wish to withdraw the dispute and let the Escrow funds go back to the client.

codes4u
Community Member

I wrote it in agent discussion. But The dispute is already inclosed. Is it still work?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths