🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refund for completed fixed-price projects by ...
Page options
2141ee21
Community Member

Refund for completed fixed-price projects by Upwork

Hi, I hope everyone is doing good. Well, I am not feeling any good at the moment.
Upwork has refunded the payment for my 3 recently completed fixed-price projects without any prior notice. All 3 projects were completed successfully and the clients have approved the work with no complaint. I have got 5-star reviews for 2 projects as well.

The contract for the third project was suspended on Saturday and I got a notification asking me not to resume the work with this client. The notification did not mention anything about the completed milestone and I was able to withdraw the amount earned from this project on Sunday.
However, the situation took a chaotic turn lately and Upwork has sent the refund to clients. I even don't know what is the reason for this refund and am suddenly in debt to Upwork. Ridiculous!

I look forward to hearing from the experts on this matter. Meanwhile, I am also trying to reach out to the concerned clients and find out if they know something about this.

16 REPLIES 16
tagrendy
Community Member

That sounds like a chargeback. Happens when clients use stolen credit cards to pay, or ask their bank to issue a chargeback.

very correct 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Yeah it's bad that upwork caught the scam only after you withdrew the money, that should have gone much faster before it becomes available. 

What was the job? Buying crypto?

The jobs were for content writing. It seems weird to me that Upwork can send a refund even after the review period.

It is just weird that the same client hired an other freelancer (that is not even a content writer) for the same job on "content blog on filming" for the same amount, and some project management with what I suspect to be an other account, again for the same amount.

It is strange that he hired a $10-an-hour social media writer for "tips on writing action movies" for $900. This client has been on the site for 18 days. Phenomenal longevity - in scammer terms, that's practically forever. 

Hey, be fair -- 18 days isn't that long. And it's not like they could be removed in a matter of minutes if Upwork were alerted to it.

petra_r
Community Member

Amir M wrote:

The jobs were for content writing.

Yeah... of course it was...

Not,

2141ee21
Community Member

So, is there any chance I can get out of this debt to Upwork?

Can you return the money that you withdrew or do you have some other payment method?

There could be multiple ways to settle the debt but that means I will be unpaid for my time and effort.

Yes that is the consequence. But there's nothing you or upwork can do then the client is a scammer using a fraudulent credit card. 

These two contracts look like the typical scams - too much money for an obscure task, conveniently high amounts. We see these often with the crypto-scam. 

It's probably not the worst thing when they disappear from your profile because they do nothing for your credibility. 

Yup, I also hope this will not affect my profile credibility.

NikolaS

Hi Amir,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
2141ee21
Community Member

Thanks Nikola 

I look forward to hearing from the Upwork support team.

1632ba11
Community Member

so sad...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members