🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refund made on hourly project
Page options
dmitry_procoders
Community Member

Refund made on hourly project

I want to understand what should I do with the payment I didn't receive.

I worked with my Client on a hourly based contract using manual time tracking. For some reason with the payments on Client's side the contract was placed on hold (suspended) for some time (2 days if I'm correct). Then the contract was placed to normal.

We finished the work on Sep 8th Sunday and closed the contract on Sep 9th Monday and I was waiting for funds on Sep 18th Wednesday (according to Upwork policy about hourly payments). But I get the e-mail notification (Sep 17th) that Upwork refunded the funds back to the client because of the rules of manual time tracking without Hourly Protection Policy (using Upwork Time Tracking App).
On Sep 17th I get the message from my client:
"Hello everyone. I just got a notice that payment did not go through on the last job you did. I'm exceptionally sorry about this and I contacting up work immediately to resolve the issue. Rest assured I will have it resolved asap and I cannot apologize enough. I do not know why the system rejected my payment. 
I found your service incredibly valuable, and look forward to a continued business relationship with you and future. I want to make sure you are compensated for your excellent work".

Then the client disappeared. I was trying to find the way to contact him by Upwork messages, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, but for some reason the client who was happy to work with me and even placed my photo on his website (will provide link if needed) gone.
I had found his collegue and she told me that the Client is seek and that's why he is off-line for more than 1 month. But what should I do to get my funds back now?

Client didn't dispute the manual time hours. This was done by Upwork, not the Client.
And one of the questions - why if the client have 1 week to make a dispute and he/she don't do it, why the Upwork return the funds back to the client and not to the freelancer? Cleint have the time to argue if he/she don't agree with manual hours.

Want to solve this issue somehow. Waiting for your help.
Thank you in advance.
Dmitry

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Manually-logged hours are not protected.

As a freelancer, you are paid AUTOMATICALLY for manual hours.

But: If the client's payment method fails... and Upwork can't collect the money... then Upwork will automatically cancel payment for unprotected hours.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Manually-logged hours are not protected.

As a freelancer, you are paid AUTOMATICALLY for manual hours.

But: If the client's payment method fails... and Upwork can't collect the money... then Upwork will automatically cancel payment for unprotected hours.

valery221166
Community Member

I clearly understand you situation. Had exactly the same. In my case client caused problems with the card (I think intentionally), so as result Upwork had problems to withdraw money from his card. So, all hours I billed, were kind of fake. Then client disappeared. I had his contacts in Skype, but he didn't response.
The only way out is to find this client or company he works in, in social media like FB, Linkedin etc, and send them as much as possible messages as comments, discovering their behaviour. If he is from Western county,  should work. They prefer to pay the money they owe you instead of getting a bad fame.
If the amount he owes you, is rather big, you should try. 

Best regards,

Valery.

Valery K wrote:

I clearly understand you situation. Had exactly the same. In my case client caused problems with the card (I think intentionally), so as result Upwork had problems to withdraw money from his card. So, all hours I billed, were kind of fake. Then client disappeared. I had his contacts in Skype, but he didn't response.
The only way out is to find this client or company he works in, in social media like FB, Linkedin etc, and send them as much as possible messages as comments, discovering their behaviour. If he is from Western county,  should work. They prefer to pay the money they owe you instead of getting a bad fame.
If the amount he owes you, is rather big, you should try. 

Best regards,

Valery.

Oof! It's sad that it had to come to that to get them to behave with some integrity. Perhaps this is an instance where a fixed price contract would be better since the money would be in escrow and you need to log manual hours, which aren't protected. Or on the reverse, never log manual hours since they aren't protected. 

My hours were not manually billed, just automatically traced.
To explain its inability to withdraw money, Upwork sent me mail explaining the situation with "lack of activity during  more than 10 min", although it was not true. My further attempts to clear the situation with Upwork, were unsuccessful.

Thank you for the reach explanation, Valery.
Seems now I have clearer understanding about how it works with not protected hours.
So is there only one way to get funds - to annoy using social networks?
Or maybe Upwork have some cases to help freelancers in such situations? How do you think?

re: "Or maybe Upwork have some cases to help freelancers in such situations? How do you think?"

Upwork is not going to help freelancers get paid for manually-logged time if the client's payment method can't be billed.

In some cases programmly-tracked too. 

IMHO you will just waste time trying to act this way
Best regards,

Valery

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members