Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund not hurting the JSS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eric B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
1 of 35

Hi, 

I did some jobs for a client and the last one is no longer needed: he discovered he just didn't needed me anymore, basically because it can do what he needs by himself very easily. 

I have to give a refund but as my client said, it's absolutely not my fault and he's ok to contact Upwork to clarify that in order to avoid my JSS hurting. 

Is that possible to do that?

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Yeasir A Member Since: May 16, 2017
2 of 35
Refunds don't affect JSS.
If the job was completed successfully and the client leaves positive feedback, a job will contribute to the freelancer's JSS positively even if freelancer issued a refund.
Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 35

Yeasir A wrote:
Refunds don't affect JSS.
If the job was completed successfully and the client leaves positive feedback, a job will contribute to the freelancer's JSS positively even if freelancer issued a refund.

Thanks, Yeasir

Are you sure that refunds don't affect JSS?

a refund sounds to me to failure, to not doing the job at all or right. Am I wrong?

Why a freelancer would issue a refund if he completed successfullly completed it?

In that particular case, the client thought he needed me and he discovered he didn't need me anymore, that's it! He opens a contract, doesn't need the job done anymore and then just want a refund.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
4 of 35

Pay no attention to Yeasir.

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 35

Janean L wrote:

Pay no attention to Yeasir.

ok, that's what I was asking myself. Can you be more explicit?

I just have to make a refund for a job that is not needed anymore, will my JSS be hurt even if my client explains the situation?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
6 of 35

(1) For better or for worse, the JSS is essentially controlled by an Upwork algorithm. Explanations and human intervention do not seem to be part of it. The only input that appears to "count" is numerical -- and no one can tell you for sure what numbers count and how each is weighed.

As far as anyone knows, no one at Upwork is authorized to go in and change the numbers by hand, no matter how justified the reason is, no matter how good an argument you can make as to why that should be done. The algorithm appears not to take "fault" into consideration, but (rather) simply whatever the algorithm defines as "successful outcome." (Meaning: if the Almighty Algorithm has determined that a refund is "Bad," then a refund hurts you, even if this particular refund was done for a "neutral" or "harmless" reason.) (But, then again, maybe refunds count against you only if there are more than three or four on your profile -- or maybe only if the client has a certain score. We really don't know for sure.)

It has been suggested that if even a small amount of money is paid on a contract, that fact is good for the JSS algorithm. So, for instance, if a client agrees that your initial time and effort are worth a few dollars ($3 ? $5 ?), even on a contract that did not ultimately "go the distance," a nearly-complete refund might well be much better than a complete refund. That is, if you are paid even $5 on the contract, the Algorithm likes that fact. (But this is a guess. An educated guess, but a guess.)

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 35

Was it all in one contract (you're keeping one milestone but refunding another) or a separate contract (you'll end up with no payment on that contract)?

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 35

Tiffany S wrote:

Was it all in one contract (you're keeping one milestone but refunding another) or a separate contract (you'll end up with no payment on that contract)?

I took the contract and didn't take it anymore.

That client have been on upwork for a long time (he knew elance) and tells me that it won't hurt my JSS. Should I trust that?

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 35
Never, it will never affect the JSS, if the refund is made within one contract.
Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 35
Janean,
It's obvious that refunds don’t affect JSS.
Don’t you know that?
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS