Did you mean: 

Refund not hurting the JSS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Yeasir A Member Since: May 16, 2017
11 of 35
Eric,
Yes, I am sure that refunds don't affect JSS

As there are a lots of reasons of refunds, just like your case.

Also, sometimes clients mistakenly, approve extra milestones which they didn't want to do, and ask for refund, which is never a freelancers fault. As freelancer has done everything right.

So, if you consider various reasons like these, you will find refunds doesn’t mean that the job was not successful.

So, refunds are just part of contracts, no affect on your JSS if client gives you postive public and private feedbacks
Highlighted
Md Tanvir F Member Since: May 19, 2016
12 of 35
I find Yeasir absolutely correct.
It's the ultimate solution at this point.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
13 of 35

"I find Yeasir absolutely correct.
It's the ultimate solution at this point."
By this, I assume what you mean is that Yeasir is saying something (1) that could, in a rational universe, be true and correct (although there is no evidence whatsoever that the Upwork universe applies this reasoning); and (2) that is consistent with what you want to hear and what you, personally, hope to be true.
If you actually are in possession of any evidence that Yeasir is "correct" and/or has arrived at any "ultimate solution," please do let us know and share that evidence with the rest of us.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
14 of 35

Now THIS is a great question! As Janean noted, it's virtually impossible to foretell exactly what effect a specific event will have on an individual's JSS. I'm thinking if you refund the fee, then any private fb the client leaves will remain in your history and factor into your JSS accordingly. But there would be no public fb--and would there be a "fb removed" notice? 

I'd consider asking the cilent to accept a refund of all but a couple of dollars (and, presumably but I would not mention it, to leave fb commensurate with the quality of work done on the not-needed-after-all assignment). That way, it's a successful outcome.

Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 35
For all you have little knowledge regarding this,
Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 35

Yeasir --

The note you just published appears to refer to a refund for a MILESTONE, not for a complete/entire JOB. The note refers to a "job [that] was completed successfully." The best information available within the Forum suggests that a COMPLETE REFUND is, by definition, indicative of a job that was completed UN-successfully.

You are confusing a partial (milestone) refund with a COMPLETE (entire-job) refund.

Highlighted
Community Guru
17 of 35
Janean,
Then see this one, which says it just depend on the amount pertial or full no affect.
Also if it becomes no earnings contact then there would be no public feedback, it will have the private feedback in JSS.
Then also as Eric client wants to help in so that his JSS don't gets hurt abd is happy to co-operate then, the private feedback should be good which will count as positive outcome!

Hoping for your reply, Janean!
Highlighted
Community Guru
18 of 35

The phrase "Job Success Score doesn't depend on the amount of money paid on a contract" is consistent with the assumption that SOME money was paid on the contract. It is a reasonable response to a query about whether highly paid contracts count for "more" in a JSS calculation than do low-paying contracts. (response to such a query: The JSS algorithm doesn't distinguish between "high-" and "low-" paying contracts. "Job Success Score doesn't depend on the amount of money paid on a contract.")

However, SOME money must have been paid on the contract. The statement above is misleading if by "amount of money" you inaccurately assume that the "amount of money paid on the contract" can be ZERO, and that fact will not negatively affect the JSS.

A contract on which NO MONEY was paid -- that is, a ZERO-EARNINGS contract -- negatively affects the JSS, as far as the best information at hand indicates to the most experienced and knowledgeable contributors to this Forum. The result of a full refund is a ZERO-EARNINGS contract: by JSS-Algorithm definition, a negative outcome.

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 35
Now, Janean.
This is about full fund refund,
where the moderator has distinctly said that "a full refund will not affect your Job Success score negatively. If the job was completed successfully and the client was satisfied with the result and left positive public and private feedback, then it will postively affect your JSS.

So, if it become no earnings job but has positive private feedback then It's a postitive outcome for JSS.

Janean, what will you now say? Eagerly waiting for your response!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Eric B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
20 of 35

Yeasir A wrote:
Now, Janean.
This is about full fund refund,
where the moderator has distinctly said that "a full refund will not affect your Job Success score negatively. If the job was completed successfully and the client was satisfied with the result and left positive public and private feedback, then it will postively affect your JSS.

So, if it become no earnings job but has positive private feedback then It's a postitive outcome for JSS.

Janean, what will you now say? Eagerly waiting for your response!

No work has been done in that contract !

We had been talking for almost 2 months (only!) and how much for this and how much for that, wasting time until I understood it wasn't really going anywhere but the guy insisted to me to take the contract that we would fill with something. Well, guess what? he changed his mind. This is the situation.

In summary, I've wasted time and am just trying to avoid my JSS being hurt. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS