🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Refund request from client for hourly job
Page options
pratappradhan
Community Member

Refund request from client for hourly job

Team,

I have worked for a hourly contract with client. But the client is asking for a refund.
He is not satisfied with work and all which i think completely baseless.
I am new to upwork and adhere to upwork policies. I have used upwork timer for this job so i have proof of my work as this timer takes screenshots every 10 mins.

Please let me know how to proceed. Can anyone please let me know how to resolve this.
7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Pratap P wrote:
I have worked for a hourly contract with client. But the client is asking for a refund.
He is not satisfied with work and all which i think completely baseless.

Has the client actually disputed the hours, or just "asked for a refud?

When were those hours logged?

Hi Petra,

Its on hours.

This is clients comment:

“Freelancer couldn't work on the main issue. He tried to run extra time for a simple task. He didn't follow the right method”

Before starting contract i clearly told client the time will take depends on complexity of issue. So i tried multiple ways to resolve the issue but it dint happen. and there were two issues one issue i have resolved other one i have tried enough methods to resolve but dint work.

Pratap P wrote:
Hi Petra,

Its on hours.

This is clients comment:

“Freelancer couldn't work on the main issue. He tried to run extra time for a simple task. He didn't follow the right method”
Before starting contract i clearly told client the time will take depends on complexity of issue. So i tried multiple ways to resolve the issue but it dint happen. and there were two issues one issue i have resolved other one i have tried enough methods to resolve but dint work.

That's irrelevant. I asked two questions:

Has the client actually disputed the hours, or just "asked for a refund?

When were those hours logged?

Hi Petra,

I have worked for 2.2 hrs only. 

The client just asked for a refund he did not even consider the one issue I have resolved.

It's not right for the client to do that.

The hours logged last week and used Upwork timer.

If I reject this refund request, what will be the consequences? does it impact my profile performance?

and please let me know the process to reject.

Pratap P wrote:

The hours logged last week and used Upwork timer.

If I reject this refund request, what will be the consequences? does it impact my profile performance?

If the client "just" asked for a refund, just decline to give a refund.

If the client actually disputes the hours, then Upwork will decide based purely on the work diary:

• was the tracker used

AND

• are there meaningful work memos that clearly describe what you were working on

AND

• were the activity levels high enough

AND

• were all screenshots showing you actively working on the client's project.

If all (!) the above are true, the client won't win a dispute.

If one or more of the above do not apply, the client will win the dispute.

(That's if the client actually files a dispute at all, which he may not)

The effect on your profile / metrics / JSS etc are decided by the feedback the client left.

I asked this question.

How to know what type of issues it is based on your comments?

Type -1: If the client "just" asked for a refund, just decline to give a refund.

Type -2: If the client actually disputes the hours, then Upwork will decide based purely on the work diary:

re: "Type -1: If the client "just" asked for a refund, just decline to give a refund."

Yes. If the client just asks for a refund, then be polite, but decline to give a refund.

re: "Type -2: If the client actually disputes the hours, then Upwork will decide based purely on the work diary"

Yes.

As Petra was saying, there are specific rules and guidelines that Upwork follows.
Experienced freelancers (or anyone who reads up on the topic) know exactly what those rules are, and we follow those rules when to do hourly work.

If you followed Upwork's rules for hourly Payment Protection, then you get you money. Even if Upwork has to pay you out of your own pocket. If you don't follow those rules, then if a client disputes your hours, the client wins.

IT IS NOT A MATTER OF RIGHT OR WRONG.

Pratap: I know that you worked hard on this project. I know that you were diligent and not wasting time. The client should NOT have asked for a refund.

But Upwork does not decide these things based on right and wrong, or based on justice, or fairness. They have a simple checklist that they follow.

If a client disputes hours, and then Upwork decides that your hours are not covered, then the client wins the dispute. There is nothing you can do about that retroactively. But you CAN:

- make a decision to follow the hourly payment protection rules in the future

- make a decision to NOT work for that same client again in the future

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths