🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refund request on hourly contract
Page options
abbas_tauseef
Community Member

Refund request on hourly contract

I worked with a client on hourly basis and the five evaluation days ended on last Friday, I would probably get paid on this Wednesday; however, the client today asked for a refund. 

What am I supposed to do now? If I do nothing (as I can't see an option), will the client get a refund? 

I thought, when the evaluation days are gone, client can't get refunds. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tauseef A wrote:

If this is the case then why does Upwork say that client can only dispute hours from Monday to Friday? 

Also, if this is the case, hourly protection isn't a thing even because the Upwork's claim that 'an hour work will be paid' no matter what. 

They don't say "no matter what", but assuming that you logged your time correctly at your usual hourly rate, you'll get paid. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
bilsim
Community Member

They can request a refund anytime before your funds have been approved (which happens on Tuesday/Wednesday).

If you do nothing, you won't get paid on Wednesday as a refund had been initiated. You will probably be contacted again (by client or Upwork) to re-discuss. Either way, if you keep silent for a long time, it'll probably be voted in client's favor. Try to present your arguments/points with evidence and re-discuss (possibly a partial refund?) or offer some other solution.

Best of luck.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Did you use the time tracker and have good activity levels and write memos about what you were doing?

Yes I did. The client didn't even dispute the hours logged, he said he didn't like the quality of the work, which is a very subjective claim. 

Also, if five evaluation days are passed by, can a client still dispute and hinder me from getting paid? 

So this was for work during the week ended 20 March? Then yes, the dispute period has passed. I would tell the client that if he has any specific feedback for you, you would be happy to make revisions (while logging the additional time, obviously).

abbas_tauseef
Community Member

If this is the case then why does Upwork say that client can only dispute hours from Monday to Friday? 

Also, if this is the case, hourly protection isn't a thing even because the Upwork's claim that 'an hour work will be paid' no matter what. 

Tauseef A wrote:

They don't say "no matter what", but assuming that you logged your time correctly at your usual hourly rate, you'll get paid. 

Christine A wrote:

Tauseef A wrote:

I didn't mean to write 'no matter what'. Lemme make it clear, 

I logged in hours on a job from Friday to Sunday and submitted that work. The client had five days from the following Monday to Friday but he did nothing. Now today he asked for a refund which doesn't seem ethical and correct. 

I got a message (and not an email) in my Upwork app that the client asks for a refund but when I click on that, nothing happens (I don't the get option to reject the it or something),  

My question now is, would I get paid on 30th of this month as scheduled? 

Instead of focussing on your payments, why aren't you more concerned that your client isn't happy with your work? Your JSS is 84%, and another hit could take you into the 70s, which will make it difficult for you to get new clients. Have you even tried to talk to your client to see whether you can do revisions? 

But okay, if you're not concerned about providing good customer service and listening to your clients, then simply tell him that unfortunately, you cannot offer him a refund. Upwork will pay you if the client does not, but that will not prevent him from leaving bad private feedback. Wouldn't it be better to try and work things out with him?

abbas_tauseef
Community Member

A client today requested a refund on hourly contract. His five days of evaluation are passed though.  If I don't do anything, would the client be able to get a refund? 

I thought clients can't ask for a refund on hourly contract after when the evaluation days are over. 

I logged hours correctly and used work diary as well. 

Is it now possible for the client to get refunded? 

Hi Tauseef,

Disputes must be filed by the next Friday after the end of the work week. If a client misses this window, you and your client should work together to resolve any issues and discuss submitting a refund. If the issue is still not resolved, the client has an option to request mediation assistance if the payment is within 30 days.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members