🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refund request
Page options
mdcm18
Community Member

Refund request

I am a freelancer and I received a message from Upwork about a contract with a Russian client. I haven't. Due to the measurements concerning Russia, this contract has been idle for a time. There is still an amount in Escrow, which has never been paid to me because the work was stopped.

Upwork now says:

If no new milestone updates, payments, or refunds are made in the next 2 weeks, this contract will be closed. You'll then receive a refund request for $XXX (the funds still in escrow).

Does this mean I need to pay this amount back to the client, even though I never earned it? Or will it just 'disappear' in Escrow and be transferred back to the client?

7 REPLIES 7
arifzilane
Community Member

Hi Marloes, 

Contact Upwork support with your work report. If the client needs a revision of the work, you can respond. 

759e32fa

Hi Marloes,

To clarify, the refund request is for the funds in Escrow that were deposited by the client. This means they are just getting back that money and not requiring you to provide an out-of-pocket refund. Since no work was done on the contract, you can release that fund to the client.

~ AJ
Upwork
mdcm18
Community Member

Thanks for your answer!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

It will just disappear. You don't need to pay it. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I'd be interested to know if Upwork allows your Russian client to leave feedback for you on this project. They shouldn't, in my opinion, because that feedback might be negative for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of your work for this client.

Please come back to this thread and let us know if this client has left feedback for you.

mdcm18
Community Member

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'll let you know in case the client has left feedback.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Did this client leave feedback for you on this project, Marloes?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members