🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refund, would you give one?
Page options
jordanmiller_
Community Member

Refund, would you give one?

Hi I've been working with a client since the 14th. He didn't like my design concepts - and today after disappearing for a few days he says the project is already done and asks me for a refund on the project. It's a milestone over $300.

Apparently my ideas aren't "creative" enough for him. But he has no marketing strategy at all. Just wants pizzazz for the sake of pizzazz. I'm annoyed. Lol.

I'm concerned about the feedback this person will leave if I fight this. I feel I could be ruined by bad feedback. But I also feel like my time was wasted and I should be compensated. What would you do? Would you fight this or just give in and refund? Thanks. 

2 REPLIES 2
financemark
Community Member

Jordan,

I feel for you as this is a difficult situation to be in with an unhappy client.  I think you are limiting your options to only negative outcomes: give refund or fight.  I have never come out any better or wiser when I made a "fight or flight" decision in businesss -- leave that type of emotional response to situations of real danger.

And, giving a refund for the sake of protecting your JSS is not wise nor entirely ethical in my view.  Note: if the client is threatening bad feedback if you don't refund, you must report them to UW CS and let them deal with the client. 

You are going to be your best when you take on a servants heart for your clients - even the difficult ones.  You didn't serve his needs and he wants his money back.  That is really no one's fault - it happens. Tell him you are sorry you did not meet his needs and ask if 1/2 of the milestone would be a sufficient refund; if he says no, give the whole thing. 

Also, if you are completing projects for 250-300, you are likely attracting clients who value you and your ideas at that same rate. 

spectralua
Community Member

At first I refunded payments under blackmail. Then stopped. Many clients want to get a job for free in this way. And bad reviews will be in any case, you can not protect yourself from everyone.

Now i will refund only for a good reason. But never for blackmail!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members