Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund

Community Leader
Joseph G Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
1 of 21

Hi people,

Could you help on how to deal with this?
There was a certain week I did not log hours due to failure of some of the drivers in my laptop.
We later agreed with my client to log in 40hours manually and I did.

Within some few days I got an email that " You have refunded $xxx to xxx xxx"
Upon contacting upwork, they said they refunded because it did not meet hourly protection.

Ok, I understand the client can send as bonus or something similar but my question is,

1,  What is the work of "Manual time"?
2, Why did upwork took this action and we agreed with my client to do so?
3, If incase a client insists I use manual time, and upwork is refunding, can I advise my client to pay outside upwork?

I am totally confused.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 21
Yeah manual time is risky and I don't recommend it unless you have a good sense to spot frauds. If someone insists on manual time that's a huge red flag to avoid.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 21

The client failed to pay Upwork and manual time is not protected so Upwork will not pay you out of their own pocket

If you track your time according to the terms Upwork pay you even if the client fails to pay Upwork. It was not so much a refund to the client (if a client fails to pay there is clearly nothing to refund as such) as the client never having paid in the first place.

You also lose the money if the client disputes if it is manual time..

Community Leader
4 of 21

How? he did not fail to pay upwork, when a person logs in manual time, upwork still earns the same same percentage of funds the same as if one logs with a time tracker.

Community Guru
5 of 21

@Joseph G wrote:

How? he did not fail to pay upwork, 

How do you know that?

Either that or the client disputed..... I am sure you would have mentioned a dispute if there had been one.

Ace Contributor
Andrea Gie L Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
6 of 21

hello, I had a client and wanting me to give him a refund for the job I've done. I didn't get any payment from this client. Under Reports - Overview - It stills in In Review and the other payment he wanted me to refund is under work progress. What happened was I do cold calling based on our contract and he also asked me to send an email to businesses. I sent the email in bulk and he gets mad. That's why he's requesting for a refund. What do I need to do? If i give him a refund it means that I worked for free for this client. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Mr A Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
7 of 21

Community Leader
8 of 21

Good, but what is the WORK OF MANUAL TIME?

Community Guru
9 of 21

@Joseph G wrote:

Good, but what is the WORK OF MANUAL TIME?

What do you mean by that?

i be.ieve I have identified the client, their account looks like they are suspended..... 

Community Leader
10 of 21

When do you use Manual Time?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS