🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refundable Security Deposit to *edited*?
Page options
cd399e60
Community Member

Refundable Security Deposit to *edited*?

Hi! I’m a newbie here and got my first response from a client after 4 days, but to my surprise, he’s asking for a security deposit, which is refundable though, as per the file he sent me, it is to ensure that the work will be done, but will not refund, if I don’t finish on time.

I saw a few comments of the same nature, is this legit or should I report? They introduced themselves as **edited for Community Guidelines**and when I researched the company, it is a multibillion firm, website link here **edited for Community Guidelines**

I almost agreed to it given that the rate is really good for an easy job, but too good to be true and since this is my supposedly first client, not sure if Upwork verified these clients prior sending in open positions here. Could they be fraud and just using the company, how can I verify? Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Total scam. Please report it.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Total scam. Please report it.

Thank you Peter, will do and much appreciate your advice.

Stay safe! 😊

You too! And never communicate off of Upwork until after a contract is in place. Reading this might help you out: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/List-of-red-flags-for-scams/m-p/1017044/highlight/true...

Thank you Peter. Got it! These are really helpful insights. Thanks for sharing! I'll keep everything I learned here in mind.

Cheers!

Hi Peter,

Can you please tell me how to report because I faced the same issue by two clients they need refundable deposit and they asked to contact out of upwork 

cassajoy
Community Member

Scammers don't tell the truth about the refund part.

Don't communicate off Upwork and definitely do not send information or deposits. Upwork provides all that information. That's why we are on this platform.

You can flag the job posting, and you can report the message through the little gearbox next to the timestamp. This fake client is most likely impersonating **edited for Community Guidelines** and their recruiting / consulting / staffing agency has no business being on here.

Thanks Cassidy!

I'll keep that in mind, so all comms between me and future clients should only happen within Upwork, anyone that would take the conversation or request outside this platform could be a red flag.

I've withdrawn my Proposal and reported the job posting as fraud/scam. And you're right, now it makes more sense that these people are only using **edited for Community Guidelines** reputation to deceive beginner freelancers like me.☹️

Thanks again for your prompt response and very helpful insight, great to have such a supportive and concern community like what we have here, take care! 😊

Yes, that would be a red flag during the interview process.

I am talking about before being hired. Once hired with a contract (meaning, the client sends you the offer) communication - after that point - can be on or off Upwork. 

Thank you for clarifying that, this is noted going forward! 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ma. Cecilia, 

This is a known scam, and I'm glad you came here to ask when it raised red flags. Let us know if you haven't reported the client and the job post yet, and our team will forward it for further review and action. 

In the meantime, it would be best if you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the
freelancer resources we have compiled, these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, and this article for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
cd399e60
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Thanks for checking! Yes, I have successfully flagged the job posting as inappropriate/scam.

I will also read these links you've shared here, done with the link Peter shared, all informative to kickstart my freelance career journey here (without getting scammed 🙏🏻).

Thank you & wish me luck! 😊

~ Paige

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members