🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Refunded already made payment illegally
Page options
c2abd522
Community Member

Refunded already made payment illegally

Hello everyone,

I met a client offline that wanted to give me a job - to write an article.

So she sent me a direct offer Whicj I accepted 

I did the job within 10 to 15 hrs and submitted the job to her, she likes it, and there was no correction what's ever. She approved the project for payment and also ended the contract. I was waiting for the 5 days security period to elapse so I can get my money.

When it was on the third day, the same client sent me another offer for another article writing, she trusted I could handle the job well, the job was the same amount as the previous one. I completed the second job under 5 hrs  she was satisfied and also approved the payment.

Now I saw when I woke up from sleep that the both payment for the job I completed has been refunded back to my client. I didn't do anything to deserve this.

Please Upwork correvtv[his asap as the both is $1800 Whicj is really important to me. I completed the both projects

} lese work on this as fast as possible.. Please 🥺 

30 REPLIES 30
yofazza
Community Member

That last 2 jobs in your profile?

Can you meet her offline?

c2abd522
Community Member

Yes, is it from her side or Upwork side?

What do I tell her if I get her off Upwork?

yofazza
Community Member

If you really can meet her offline, you can ask her for the money. 

c2abd522
Community Member

Has the refund processed to her? 

petra_r
Community Member

Onyekara R wrote:

Has the refund processed to her? 

The funds, if they were paid in the first place, have gone back to the payment method they came from.

Again: What DID you do for the client? (It wasn't writing articles).

yofazza
Community Member

Basically, yes. Money returned, no longer in your account. Tell us more about her? How do you met her? What does she do for a living?

petra_r
Community Member

Onyekara R wrote:

I met a client offline that wanted to give me a job - to write an article.

Please Upwork correvtv[his asap as the both is $1800 Whicj is really important to me. I completed the both projects

That will have been a fraudulent payment. Probably with a stolen credit card or similar.

You do understand that nobody in this (or any other) universe would pay you $1800 to write 2 articles, so what did you REALLY do for that client? You sent them real money, didn't you? In form of crypto-currency or similar?

Onyekara R wrote:

Please Upwork correvtv[his asap

Not going to happen. That money is gone.

c2abd522
Community Member

Wow,

Fraudulent payment? 

petra_r
Community Member

Onyekara R wrote:

Fraudulent payment? 

The only question that is left open is how far you were involved.

What exactly did you do for that money? It obviously wasn't writing articles...

c2abd522
Community Member

That's all,

I didn't send money I aren't stupid

And I just wrote the article,

We all are here in search of money with our skills, so when we see someone willing to pay more for the skill, it's a plus to us and we hereby seize the opportunity, 

I think that's was exactly what I did 

petra_r
Community Member

Onyekara R wrote: And I just wrote the article,

Nobody will ever pay you $1800 to write two articles. Ever.

I didn't send money I aren't stupid

Good. Then you didn't really lose anything other than a bit of time.

Petra R wrote:

Nobody will ever pay you $1800 to write two articles. Ever.

Especially when you're not a writer but a graphic designer.

yofazza
Community Member

You know I looked into you forum post history, and now I'm confused 😐

But anyways, if you're sincere, and you really met that woman offline, then 

I speculate she's one of the people who's responsible for the crazy job postings lately.

If you don't like what she's doing, you have friends here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Nigerian-Freelancers/m-p/267399

Maybe you as a group can do something.

Less than 2 decades ago, credit card fraud are normal in my country. People are proud when they can send goods from abroad, using stolen foreign CC. It is changed now. 

Onyekara R wrote:

...I aren't stupid

Upwork isn't either. This type of case has arisen many times before, and the participants all walked away empty-handed.

roberty1y
Community Member

If you met the client offline as you say you did, that in itself would probably be a violation of ToS. But I've a feeling that's the least of your problems at this stage.

JoanneP

Hi Onyekara,

I can see that one of our agents has already reached out to you. You can access the ticket by logging in to your Upwork account and going here

~ Joanne
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

You didn't send money, but you bought some cryptocurrency. Same thing. 

This kind of thing isn't a job, and is strictly forbidden. It can get you suspended. If that's not what you did, the only other possibility is that you and the other person conspired to defraud upwork, which is more likely since you knew the person before. This is a pretty laughable scam, upwork has caught up to them a million years ago. If they paid out all the frauds, they would be out of business in a day. 

You know that nothing you are saying here makes any sense, right? Except when it's a fraud. 

c2abd522
Community Member

I had no idea all this was a fraud. I'll be more careful in the future. Upwork should try to catch with all these credit card scammers so it doesn't ruin its reputation. 

Not communicating outside of Upwork before being hired and not sending money to clients or not buying things for clients should keep you safe for the most part.

Sophie A wrote:

Not communicating outside of Upwork before being hired and not sending money to clients or not buying things for clients should keep you safe for the most part.

Well he said he didn't buy anything - I actually tend to believe that, since he knew the person before bringing them to upwork. This is a pretty laughable scam where both try to defraud upwork. As in: we'll use a stolen credit card, create a pretend job for $$$$, upwork will pay and we'll drink champagne later. 

Those scams never worked. 

I covered all basis since he said : I had no idea all this was a fraud.

And the info could benefit any other reader facing a similar issue.

Sophie A wrote:

I covered all basis since he said : I had no idea all this was a fraud.

And the info could benefit any other reader facing a similar issue.

That would be great, but I doubt the scammers read the forum and it deters them from their little scams. 

I hadn't thought of that, as most of these refund cases are crypto-related. But it does seem that the OP and the client just...well, people can work out for themselves what happened.

Yep the crypto-scam requires the participant to NOT KNOW EACH OTHER beforehand. If they already know each other, well.... it's pretty obvious what this is. 

Onyekara R wrote:

I had no idea all this was a fraud. I'll be more careful in the future. Upwork should try to catch with all these credit card scammers so it doesn't ruin its reputation. 

Well, this is both clients and freelancers trying to scam upwork, so both of them should be suspended and never allowed on the platform again. 

You might not have the opportunity to be more careful in future, not on this platform anyway. 

m_terrazas
Community Member

A doubt. Only one writing job appears in your history and you say you did two?
Looking at the job, the client has hired two freelancers for the same job. It all sounds a bit strange. We can't find out about the other freelancer because his profile has been banned.

If I remember rightly, there were two writing jobs there earlier today, totalling around $1800. This could turn into the Mystery of the Disappearing Profiles.

Robert Y wrote:

If I remember rightly, there were two writing jobs there earlier today, totalling around $1800. This could turn into the Mystery of the Disappearing Profiles.

So I was late. Now there is only one job, which will be gone soon I guess.
And his profile..., we'll see 🙄

Maria T wrote:

A doubt. Only one writing job appears in your history and you say you did two?
Looking at the job, the client has hired two freelancers for the same job. It all sounds a bit strange. We can't find out about the other freelancer because his profile has been banned.

He had two different ones. One has already gone where scams go to die. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths