cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Contract Rates & Terms

Highlighted
Mukesh K Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
1 of 8

I am on odesk for many years, but still sometimes the oDesk system puzzles me. Today one of the incidences raised one issue which I wanted to share, hope others might have felt, I am not sure about it.

Today one of my Client updated the contract with increased hourly rate. For me it showed on my end that the contract id # with particular number has been ended, and I have to leave feedback on there. On other hand it showed me new Contract ID with increased hourly rate.

The thing is Client was not aware that my previous contract has been ended and he needs to leave a feedback to me. Once I asked him to leave me a feedback on oDesk, he was totally shocked and when he contacted oDesk support it was said to him that it works that way when you increase the rate the previous contract get ended and new contract gets placed. Okay that’s Fine until here.

Now I had an issue on my end, once the new contract with new ID is created automatically by oDesk when client increases the hourly rate, The oDesk system didn’t even asked me that am I really agreed to the particular hourly rate or not. And the New Contract ID shows me as Active Contract.

Once I contacted oDesk chat support they said it works that way. But for me its un-acceptable.

I request oDesk to think on this issue. According to Chat Support, they let me to deal with Client. It had let me no choice to goes for an argument between me and my client on un-acceptable increased hourly rates.

This can be rare incidence for oDesk I am not sure about it, but please do think that increased hourly rate cannot be always acceptable to freelancer. If it doesn’t address even the Freelancer specified hourly rate on their profile. Please do think on this..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 8

Why would you be upset if the client increased your hourly rate? I can't think of one instance someone would be upset a client gave them more money?

I don't like they merge some contracts and not others, and feedback if you have had more then one will go poof, but you can ask your client to leave feedback again. But I am scratching my head about why you would be upset about getting an increase in pay?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 8

Quote: Now I had an issue on my end, once the new contract with new ID is created automatically by oDesk when client increases the hourly rate, The oDesk system didn’t even asked me that am I really agreed to the particular hourly rate or not. And the New Contract ID shows me as Active Contract.

I agree it should not be done that way and that you should be asked to sign that you agree to the new terms and conditions. If you have a dispute in the future do you have protection or does the client, when nothing has been agreed to by both parties?

I agree that not receiving any kind of notification that this has occurred is problematic when it comes to feedback. Feedback is an important part of our Job Success score that this should not be happening.

What happens if the client tells you he's raising your rate by $5 an hour and then only gives you $2 and you don't realize it. Are you locked into the new contract or have any way to turn it down?

I see all kinds of issues here.

Highlighted
4 of 8

Hi Suzanne,

Its very simple, I was told earlier to prove my ability and i proved it with my skills. Second i asked client to increase my hourly rate much earlier on which he said once particular task will be finished we will talk on it. I waited for the time until the task was finished.

And all of sudden he increased the rates without asking me, Its not always be fair that if someone give you the raise without your concern can be GOOD if you count to your ability and skills and thats my concern that if he would have given the raise without asking me, I would be having some buttons or features on oDesk which would have allowed me to stop the contract to get ACTIVE until i approves or get agreed on.

Mukesh

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
5 of 8

You still should have received a notice. I have always received a notice when my rate was increased so not sure why you did not. I recently received an increase and received a notice that my rate had been increased. So maybe you got the notice but missed it ?

Highlighted
6 of 8

I received the notice that my contract is updated with increased rate. (I am not saying here that i didnt received any notice) My concern is when client increased the rate, the contract was ended which was on low rate and the new contract was started. The thing here is when old contract is ended and when we both have to leave feedback about each other then there is no reason i feels that new contract will get started with increased rate without my approval.

It does not even be always true that increased rate could be acceptable. If client was paying 5$/hr in past and in actual i was charging other client 10$/hr its not that i will always like to work on low pay rate and also if he increase to $6/hr when i am expecting that i can make a deal on $8-$9.. then think about this situation.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
7 of 8

Hi Mukesh,

The first contract that you had with your client closed because the rate was changed, that is why a new contract was started. The contract is for the continuation of the same job with the same details as the previous contract, the only difference is that a rate increase was given. Your client does not have to leave feedback on the closed contract, once the job has been completed these contracts will be merged and the final feedback will be submitted. 

Don't worry if your current job's first contract has no feedback, this will be replaced when the job is complete.

I would also advise that you discuss your feelings of pay with your client. Communication is important. If, when you asked your client to increase your wage you had a specific dollar amount in mind, let them know. 

-Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
8 of 8

Hi Lena,

I am aware of it, that new contract is a continuation of the old one with increased rate.

As you said -- (Your client does not have to leave feedback on the closed contract, once the job has been completed these contracts will be merged and the final feedback will be submitted. 

Don't worry if your current job's first contract has no feedback, this will be replaced when the job is complete.)

But I didnt seen it happened that way. As soon the client tried to increase my rate the contract was ended and new one was generated. The BIG thing here happened that my previous Rating which was 4.83/5 straight away went down to 4.82/5 when he didnt left the feedback.

So i have to ask him to leave feedback for me. So how could you say its not the matter of worrying. As soon as he gave me the feedback and of course it was 5/5 so my rating went back to 4.83. Second thing When he didnt left any feedback, it reflected on my profile as NO Feedback. So i have to ask him for the feedback.

Third the system didnt let me to discuss this thing with my client. When he increased the rate without prior discussion, why it made it ACTIVE on my end? Even if its a continuation.

At one side the system is displaying the Ended Contract as NO Feedback on profile. Second its reducing or affecting on Rating. And when feedback is given it is increasing. Then why it didnt allowed me to ACCEPT the contract even if its a continutation. Think on it..

Mukesh

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS