🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Regarding location on upwork if you trave...
Page options
utmostquality
Community Member

Regarding location on upwork if you travel frequently

18 REPLIES 18
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jaideep:

But here are the rules:

You need to set your location for where you really live.

Don't try to fake it. Upwork works hard to find people who are faking it.

Upwork is NOT the travel police.

If you travel, Upwork does not want you to notify them or change your location on your profile.

If you move to a different place, then you need to update the location on your profile.

You're going to have to decide some of this for yourself, because Upwork is not going to provide specific numbers. Upwork is not going to tell you how many days it is before "travelling" becomes "you live somewhere." But YOU know the difference.

YOU know that you do not actually live in BOTH Canada and India simultaneously. Upwork is fine with freelancers being from either location. Set the location to wherever you actually live.

Maybe Upwork REALLY SHOULD HAVE a classification for "digital nomads." But right now, they don't have that.

If you're really travelling so much that you are physically located in one country after another, then you will probably need to set your profile location to your primary billing address location - where your citizenship is.

Well I generally stay for say 3-4months or so. In my opinion that would qualify as living, that's what the problem is.

If there were set rules about this it would be convenient. I do however have all proofs of the duration such as air tickets and all.

re: "Well I generally stay for say 3-4months or so. In my opinion that would qualify as living, that's what the problem is. If there were set rules about this it would be convenient. I do however have all proofs of the duration such as air tickets and all."

The simple fact is that Upwork's back-end systems, front-end software, and current policies... None of these were designed for situations such as yours.

Maybe in the future there will be modifications to better capture and make allowances for your type of situation.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

You can't have two locations at a time lol, if that's the answer you were expecting.

There was a time when I read in the old Upwork documentation, probably a couple of years ago, "If you travel to South Africa, you should chage your profile address to South Africa." If you then hop on a flight to Malaysia, you should change it to Malaysia". etc. Probably not those exact words, but sth in those lines.

Now, the general consensus seems to be, Your Upwork profile address should be where you spend the most time, where you are mostly based.

In general, if you are permanent resident in both countries, you can set your address to either and your profile should not get suspended for wrong location.

This is because you would have sufficient documents to prove either.

Upwork does not come down to your present location to verify that you're in that location.

They'll only look at documents you'll give them.

Just make sure to have these documents ready to verify anytime.

Ok understood. 
Thanks,

re: "This is because you would have sufficient documents to prove either. Upwork does not come down to your present location to verify that you're in that location. They'll only look at documents you'll give them."

This is an excellent point.

If you have the documents, you could totally choose either one.

But those "documents" are going to be things such as passport and driver's license.

Not airline tickets.

Must say I'm not fond of the platform much.

I already did the whole video call thing and showed them my passport there.
The hassle is just too much sometimes. 
On another upwork page I read that the country must be set to the country you are logging in from.
Link Here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067528-Edit-Account-Information
Scroll down to the country section and read.

Jaideep S wrote:

On another upwork page I read that the country must be set to the country you are logging in from.
Link Here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067528-Edit-Account-Information
Scroll down to the country section and read.

I must say, I hadn't seen that one before.

So what do I do?

This is extremely annoying. Trying to follow upwork rules but can't thanks to different info everywhere.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Jaideep, much as you might choose to lose sleep over this, note that the Upwork profile verification team will not ask you to provide proof of where you're logging in from.

The documents they'll ask you of are in the link I shared above.

Thanks!

But they will see my Canadian IP when I log in from here.

Anyway, I'll write to them for further clarification.

Jaideep S wrote:

But they will see my Canadian IP when I log in from here.

Anyway, I'll write to them for further clarification.

There is no need to waste Upwork support's time and your time.

They'll simply copy and paste the existing knowledges base and serve that to you.

I want to ask for clarification on contradicting information on two of their own different pages and you tell me I shouldn't waste their time?
There is clearly a gap in consistency when they put in the line that says "You must choose the country you are logging in from" and you tell me I shouldn't clarify on that?

Hi! Jaideep.

I've flagged your post for the attention of a mod.

An Upwork staff should circle through to you in a moment and provide you clarification on this thread.

Thanks.

Thanks for the help.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jaideep, 

It looks like a member of the Customer Support Team has clarified this for you. I would also like to add that if you are travelling and are away from your country of residence temporarily,  you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly.  If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving some place, then you should make updates to your account location. Also, it's recommended that you check with a legal adviser if you need a certain type of visa or a work permit to be able to work on Upwork while travelling.

~ Avery
Upwork

Yes, got a response to the ticket. Thanks

The agent told me that when it says your country should be set to the one
you're logging in from, they mean the time zone setting only.

Writing this here just incase anyone else ever has the same question.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths