cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding location on upwork if you travel frequently

Jaideep S Member Since: Feb 9, 2017
1 of 19

Hi there,

I've become active on here again and looking to expand.
I'm an electronics designer and I offer the same services on upwork as well.

Now my question is, I wanted to verify my ID for the badge and all but saw that they need address verification.

I travel frequently between countries. Mainly between Canada and India.
I'm currently in Canada and so have set my location to here, however my bank is in India and so my billing address is set to that.

My question is, what's the correct approach to setting my location in a case like this?

Since my work involves receiving and sending out prototypes of projects by post, I use the postal system of whatever country I'm currently in and set my location to the country I'm in so it's easier for me to work with local clients.

Please let me know if i'm doing anything wrong and if there's a correct approach to a case like this. I plan to live the digital nomad lifestyle in the future so my travels will only keep increasing.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 19

Jaideep:

But here are the rules:

You need to set your location for where you really live.

Don't try to fake it. Upwork works hard to find people who are faking it.

Upwork is NOT the travel police.

If you travel, Upwork does not want you to notify them or change your location on your profile.

If you move to a different place, then you need to update the location on your profile.

You're going to have to decide some of this for yourself, because Upwork is not going to provide specific numbers. Upwork is not going to tell you how many days it is before "travelling" becomes "you live somewhere." But YOU know the difference.

YOU know that you do not actually live in BOTH Canada and India simultaneously. Upwork is fine with freelancers being from either location. Set the location to wherever you actually live.

Maybe Upwork REALLY SHOULD HAVE a classification for "digital nomads." But right now, they don't have that.

If you're really travelling so much that you are physically located in one country after another, then you will probably need to set your profile location to your primary billing address location - where your citizenship is.

3 of 19

Well I generally stay for say 3-4months or so. In my opinion that would qualify as living, that's what the problem is.

If there were set rules about this it would be convenient. I do however have all proofs of the duration such as air tickets and all.

Community Guru
4 of 19

re: "Well I generally stay for say 3-4months or so. In my opinion that would qualify as living, that's what the problem is. If there were set rules about this it would be convenient. I do however have all proofs of the duration such as air tickets and all."

The simple fact is that Upwork's back-end systems, front-end software, and current policies... None of these were designed for situations such as yours.

Maybe in the future there will be modifications to better capture and make allowances for your type of situation.

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
5 of 19

You can't have two locations at a time lol, if that's the answer you were expecting.

There was a time when I read in the old Upwork documentation, probably a couple of years ago, "If you travel to South Africa, you should chage your profile address to South Africa." If you then hop on a flight to Malaysia, you should change it to Malaysia". etc. Probably not those exact words, but sth in those lines.

Now, the general consensus seems to be, Your Upwork profile address should be where you spend the most time, where you are mostly based.

In general, if you are permanent resident in both countries, you can set your address to either and your profile should not get suspended for wrong location.

This is because you would have sufficient documents to prove either.

Upwork does not come down to your present location to verify that you're in that location.

They'll only look at documents you'll give them.

Just make sure to have these documents ready to verify anytime.

6 of 19

Ok understood. 
Thanks,

Community Guru
7 of 19

re: "This is because you would have sufficient documents to prove either. Upwork does not come down to your present location to verify that you're in that location. They'll only look at documents you'll give them."

This is an excellent point.

If you have the documents, you could totally choose either one.

But those "documents" are going to be things such as passport and driver's license.

Not airline tickets.

8 of 19

Must say I'm not fond of the platform much.

I already did the whole video call thing and showed them my passport there.
The hassle is just too much sometimes. 
On another upwork page I read that the country must be set to the country you are logging in from.
Link Here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067528-Edit-Account-Information
Scroll down to the country section and read.

Yet if I change the country it asks for the address which I can to my coworking space here.
However I won't have documentation to prove that other than an access card.

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
9 of 19

Jaideep S wrote:

On another upwork page I read that the country must be set to the country you are logging in from.
Link Here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067528-Edit-Account-Information
Scroll down to the country section and read.

I must say, I hadn't seen that one before.

10 of 19

So what do I do?

This is extremely annoying. Trying to follow upwork rules but can't thanks to different info everywhere.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS