Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding the name of the country where the client resides

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
Tabinda H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 26

UPwork authorities are requested to make it a compulsion for all clients to display the country where they reside so that the free-lancers could get an idea about them in addition to their respective time zones. UPwork is FLOURISHING so well that a piece of work which I did in response to a job offer from one of my Australian clients was displayed in my gmail, this evening of 24th August 2015, two days after the initiation of contract. The amusing fact is that I completed the piece of work the very next day and dispatched it to my client. 

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
BEST ANSWER
2 of 26

@Tabinda H wrote:

UPwork authorities are requested to make it a compulsion for all clients to display the country where they reside so that the free-lancers could get an idea about them in addition to their respective time zones. UPwork is FLOURISHING so well that a piece of work which I did in response to a job offer from one of my Australian clients was displayed in my gmail, this evening of 24th August 2015, two days after the initiation of contract. The amusing fact is that I completed the piece of work the very next day and dispatched it to my client. 

All clients with a verified payment method have this information available for you to see.

If you don't want to work for a client (ie new client) who does not have a verified payment method then don't apply to the job.

I do NOT want clients to be forced to verify their payment method when posting a job. We would lose many clients that way. 90% of my jobs are with new clients and I've never had issues with regard to country. 

View solution in original post

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
3 of 26

Thanks a lot Jean

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 26

decided to withdraw my statement.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 26
probably wise
habitab8888
Ace Contributor
6 of 26

Hey Irene,

I would love to listen to your point of view please!

impactwebdesign
Community Leader
Dan S Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
7 of 26

Not having clients post their country or have verified payment promotes scams by clients. I bid on jobs with no verified payment but I don't do one thing till I get a 50% down payment released to me, not just in escrow but in my pocket. Honest clients don't have a problem with this but scammers balk at it so I dump them and tell them why.

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
8 of 26

Thanks Dan

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
9 of 26

smart Dan.

A client wanted me to write something for him as a test and when I said I'd get to that when the mileston is paid... I never heard from him again and i think that's since August 27, he might just be busy and a bit slow in replying, but my gut says something else is going on.

Thanks very much to that angel on my shoulder that reminds of me of things that are obvious to seasoned freelancers and not obvious to some less seasoned freelancers. Smiley Happy 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
10 of 26
Dan,

Thanks for the reminder that in some industries, partial advance payment is a norm before beginning work, and that it's possible to set that up within the Upwork system.

Best,
Michael
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS