Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding the name of the country where the client resides

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
21 of 26

I got all that. I understand some are fishing and may not be ready to hire, so no need to add payment method.

The OP is asking about the name of the country where the client resides. Why does the country of proposal origin need to be tied to payment method? When a client posts a job, why can't there be a question for country of where the client is?

"I've had the privilege to work with some absolutely wonderful and fascinating personalities from the widest range of cultural and geographical backgrounds. When we work here we're not primarily in a country, we're "on the Internet!"

This has nothing to do with cultural discrimination. I find the language barriers and time zone differences difficult to work with, and prefer to bid on jobs from certain countries. It's more about my convenience.

I don't have a problem working with brand new clients, as long as they are in a country I choose to work with. I am just not understanding why, like on Elance, where it works perfectly well, to see the flag of the country right on the job posting. It's really perfectly simple, as you say.

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
22 of 26

Hi Jean.

Any thoughts on what the issues could be if I work for a client who is new and does not have his payment verified?

I checked out the client from his company's website, everything seems good. in fact, I want him to become a repeat client.

Thanks!

Ashish

loredana-b
Community Leader
Loredana B Member Since: Feb 26, 2016
23 of 26

@Ashish K wrote:

Hi Jean.

Any thoughts on what the issues could be if I work for a client who is new and does not have his payment verified?

I checked out the client from his company's website, everything seems good. in fact, I want him to become a repeat client.

Thanks!

Ashish

Asish - did the client hire you? If he did, you can simply ask him to verify his payment method before you start work.

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
24 of 26

@Loredana B wrote:
 Asish - did the client hire you? If he did, you can simply ask him to verify his payment method before you start work.
Hi Loredana.
Not yet. I will have a telephonic conversation with the client today. Just wanted to cover all bases. Thanks for your input!
Ashish.

des2013
Thomas K Member Since: Feb 26, 2016
25 of 26

I would like to respectfully disagree.  Verifying a client's country and some other basic information before the post may discourage a lot of clients, but primarily only those who were not seriously seeking to hire anyone in the first place. 

For example, a client's job I have just viewed indicates their country as United States, but the time posted just below that belies the claim since, if correct, the poster had to be either in Ghana or Reykjavik. This is a frequent occurance, where posters turn out to be other than stated. What client honestly seeking to hire a freelancer would falsify their country of origin?

Yes, the number of clients posting jobs would drop, but also the amount of time, resources and bandwidth wasted on processing posts that will never accomplish anything positive.  I would think this issue has a great deal to do with the high ratio of proposals to hires experienced by freelancers on the high end of the pay scale. At risk of being censored, could it be that the lack of verification may be more related to profits than worries about scaring off legitimate clients?

negrusti
Ace Contributor
Gregory M Member Since: Jul 20, 2015
26 of 26
Seeing the country of a client with unverified payment when browsing for jobs will be a huge help for me. There is no need to force the payment verification on the client; perhaps just make the country field mandatory on registration. I understand that the client will be able to enter any country he wants at that stage.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS