🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Register with no formal education
Page options
21b8b210
Community Member

Register with no formal education

Is it possible to register as a freelancer with no formal higher education? I have over 20 years of experience with 12 years working in enterprise level companies. Am I disqulified from Upwork because I don't have a formal education? If I try to skip the education section it tells me I won't be able to register until I complete the education section.

I've searched the community and I understand that a degree isn't required, just the school. I've never attended a college or university so I have nothing to put in the school field.

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Joe:

Nobody cares.

Or almost nobody cares.

If there is no school, then leave it blank. Or put in your high school. Or "available upon request."

Upwork clients want somebody who can help them accomplish specific tasks. Very few of them look at the education section or care about it.

I believe you are missing the question.  Upwork doesn't let you finish the profile without listing your higher education.  I am running into the same problem.  Being self-taught and havning no higher education to list, upwork is not letting me complete the profile.

I have the same question.  Is there any way to complete the profile without listing a degree?

Hi Richard,

Did you undergo any training? If you did, you can include that information and add details about the company in which the training took place.

~ Joanne
Upwork

There seems to be a problem with the form not accepting schools that are not in the list.  It says you can add a new school, but doesn't actually accept new schools.  This makes it difficult to add the unofficial education.

Hi Alexander,

You should have no problems adding your education. Just add the school name, other optional info and click on the green 'Save' button. Are you receiving any errors while trying to do so? Could you please share a screenshot from your end so we can take a look?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I don't have education listed on my profile, so I assume it's possible to not include it.

katiedvorak
Community Member

I am having the same issue. I am self employed and entirely self taught, and don't understand why it requires a school name. I was able to put in the name of my high school to get through my profile submission, but it makes me uneasy and makes me feel that I'll be overlooked for jobs because I listed what is obviously a high school instead of simply leaving the education field blank. 

Katie, I doubt that clients who hire me ever look at my education information. They are interested in what I can do for them.

As a client, I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork.

I have never looked at any freelancer's education section. I just don't care about that.

I am sure some clients look. What percentage? Probably depends on the kind of job.

kinector
Community Member

I would really like to see that feature changed so that those whose offering is based on higher education can use it to their advantage but it shouldn't be mandatory for everyone.

Freelancing is a skills-based business type by default.

A good change request for Upwork!

Joe, maybe as a workaround you just describe your On-The-Job training and that kind of practical qualifications in a few words. Few people will scroll down and read it anyway.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members