cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regulated Rate Per Hour

Emily L Member Since: Mar 14, 2009
1 of 9
oDesk is currently conducting test, where some freelancers can't bid lower rate, or the client can't hire some freelancers in lower rate, and I'm one of the freelancers affected on the test conducted which caused inconvenience and frustration, I can't bid lower than $2/hour. My staffing manager can submit application $1/hour rate, so my staffing manager submitted application on my behalf for the rate of $1/hour, the applications is successfully submitted, but still the client can't hire me for $1/hour. I need this work for additional income, the client assured me that my rate will increase and give bonuses and incentives according to my attendance and performance, but oDesk won't allow it. For me when rate is regulated, it must be applied to all Freelancers, not in selective only because our concept is to bid. Of course the lowest bidder will win. In regulating the rate must apply to all, so that no one can bid lower than the systems allowed.
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
2 of 9
Why do you want to work for only $1.00 an hour? This has been rehashed so many times it deserves a funeral procession now. NO ONE should work so bloody cheap. Do you not think you deserve to be paid more? Just bid normally, bid for what your skills are, and then you can compete the right way. There is no sense in gaining a position just because you are the one willing to work for .50 cents an hour. Please show me where the quality is in that?
3 of 9
The work is long-term $1/hour but unlimited time... Almost of my clients started at $1/hour but they raised when after had proven my worth... It could be better if they regulate the rate apply to all freelancers but only to selective, some freelancer can, so the client will not hire me because there are still some can work at lower rates. It's unfair...
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
4 of 9
I think $1 per hour is low, even for unskilled or repetative work. My thoughts on low rates aside, I do agree that the minimums should be applied universally and not just to a few contractors as that prevents equality. (I also think that you should encourage clients to hire you at your new increased rate, after 2-3 do, you will find that other clients that view your profile will also follow suit.)
5 of 9
Yes I agree that $1 is low, but I have my own strategies on how my client raised my rate, it only starting rate and test. The minimum rate should apply to all contractors so that client will no longer find any lower rates. Because they can find another, I've lost my chances to prove them that I'm worthy. And instead of regulating the new contracts rate, why oDesk didn't encourage client to increase rate of their in-progress contract for 6 months and older?
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
6 of 9
I also think that New and Relatively New Freelancers has to change their perspective of starting Low is the best way of starting a career on Freelancing regardless of skill's level. They feel that "Once they have proven their worth" they can simply increase their rate. Problem I see now almost all New Freelancers have the same thinking, It never entered their mind that by the time they have "proven their worth" hundreds of other Newbies are also bidding low to start their own career. By that time they are finding it difficult to increase rate, coz by that time Clients are now used to getting their job done at low rates and see hundreds of other Freelancer Bidding low. This situation will also affect all other Freelancers across the board with regards to rates, which we now see happening around oDesk the past year or so.
7 of 9
That's why if they want to improve oDesk workplace regulated rates should be applied to all contractors so that no one can bid lower, and the clients can't took advantage to freelancers.
EDUARDO L Member Since: Mar 24, 2014
8 of 9
Yes, If oDesk want to improve the workplace, regulated rates must be applied to all freelancers so that no one can bid lower. And they must encourage to client increase rates of their existing in-progress contract to freelancers who work for them long-term (6 months and older).
Wesley S Member Since: Jan 22, 2012
9 of 9
I honestly believe that no one should work for $1.00 per hour. I do have to admit that for some reason "some" employers take advantage of workers with minimum or no oDesk experience in order to pay them with their petty cash. We don't know the need of the next person, there must be a reason why they are willing to work for so cheap; maybe an emergency, something. So viewing it from that point of view I can understand. You got to do what you have to do and if getting a little bit for the need that you have right now is better than nothing. We as freelancers have the choice, if we start bidding at a set price as a minimum which we find realistically decent then WE can change the way employers pay because at the end of the day they came to oDesk because of a need they have, that need being the services that we outsource to them. The leverage is on our side. It's just too complicated to implement.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS