🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Relevant clients targeting
Page options
maru4ka
Community Member

Relevant clients targeting

Hi, all! Hope you are doing well!

I had a very nice project, which expected to be long-term position, but it was interrupted in a month from client side because of budget cutting.

So, now I am wondering how to choose better projects to grow up and also stably earn money.

This time I received direct message from the client, so I had no access to the original proposal and didn't browse clients profile.

However, I did this after this project was closed, and noticed that other same projects from this client was closed also in a month, though it was long-term position for virtual assistance.

The problem was my department didn't generate sales for month I worked, but I needed a time to get accustomed to work, to learn all current admin staff and there was no clear requirements from the client regarding management and sales targeting. Of course,  I understand that sales is a goal of any work, but since you are on rather administrative position, it may be step by step icluded into work responsibilities, but after month or so.

The problem was that  I spent a time to learn all the admin staff, paswords, logins, numerous social network pages etc, my pc and phone also was adopted for these numerous logins. This is my time, energy, resourses. Project stopped and I need to delete all this things, need to clear myself from things became automatical for my daily schedule, and all this is quite annoying and irritating, cause I built my working system for long-term engagement. And I need to clear it and again and again search for new work, and again  build all this, hopefully not only for single month.   

So, my question is:

1) How to build relationship with client to understand client's goals and expectations (even if clients do not mention this), so as not to be just cutted off after a month, because client doesn't realize that he doesn't have enough budget for this position. And protect myself from such sudden discoveries.  

2) How to understand that cliets is serious and is wishing to pay?

This cliet, for e.x. emphasized many times that this is long term position, but eventually it turned only into month trial.

3) Do clients undesrtand that if they hire somebody for a long-remt position, first month is rather worming up period, and to bring more clear results more time is needed. And how to ask client about this to be sure he understand this?

4) Client was very active and emotional on the start. Showing me his appreciation, and active involment into cooperation. This was a mark for me that we are building active and good working relationship. With high engagment. But, when I was cutted, no clear explanations, no any directions about what I should do to finish my work, to pass current info, to close all the pages access etc. Just silence, and manager didn't reply. After worm start, it looks very strange. So I am wondering what is this?? Client gave my 5 stars mark, so no problem with me personally. Just lack of corporate culture. I need to decide myself how to delete my admin access from pages etc. They just banned my access to general CRM. And no any other explanations.  I am feeling like an idiot.  Should I ask client on the start what is the process of contact closing??

Would be glad for sharings. 

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member

There is no guarantee in freelancing for steady work. 

Thank you for your reply.

I clearly understand this, but at least I can discuss with client  his expactations and thoughts regarding period of work. Especially when client emphasize this many times, that he is looking for long-term worker, it is strange. 

Some clients overestimate the amount of work.
Some clients find another freelancer they prefer.
Some clients turn to focus on other projects/incomes.
Some clients are not the boss, and changes are made from above. 
Some clients sell up and go to live on an island somewhere. 
Some clients...

I could go on, but I'd be here all day. There's a huge variety of reasons why things change. I know that I've started projects full of enthusiasm only to lose interest after a while. You're free to ask clients about expected workload and duration etc, but don't expect things to turn out as stated.

I prefer to operate on the understanding that even my best, long-term clients can disappear without explanation - regardless of what they tell me. I have tried to work with one or two large clients but found all too often I had big income gaps to fill if/when they suddenly vanished. Now I take on several clients at once and I overbook (but I still don't have a full working week often). 

Thank you for your kind reply.

Yes, a gap in income is stressfull, and that is why we need to cover our selves with several projects.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I am a liitle bit confused with sudden dissapears, even if you had a great working relationship with clients, but now I see these things happen sometimes.

c63ea194
Community Member

1) How to build relationship with client to understand client's goals and expectations (even if clients do not mention this), so as not to be just cutted off after a month, because client doesn't realize that he doesn't have enough budget for this position. And protect myself from such sudden discoveries.  

2) How to understand that cliets is serious and is wishing to pay?

This cliet, for e.x. emphasized many times that this is long term position, but eventually it turned only into month trial.

3) Do clients undesrtand that if they hire somebody for a long-remt position, first month is rather worming up period, and to bring more clear results more time is needed. And how to ask client about this to be sure he understand this?

4) Client was very active and emotional on the start. Showing me his appreciation, and active involment into cooperation. This was a mark for me that we are building active and good working relationship. With high engagment. But, when I was cutted, no clear explanations, no any directions about what I should do to finish my work, to pass current info, to close all the pages access etc. Just silence, and manager didn't reply. After worm start, it looks very strange. So I am wondering what is this?? Client gave my 5 stars mark, so no problem with me personally. Just lack of corporate culture. I need to decide myself how to delete my admin access from pages etc. They just banned my access to general CRM. And no any other explanations.  I am feeling like an idiot.  Should I ask client on the start what is the process of contact closing??

Nothing of the above in bold is feasible in real market.

Ok, you were unhappy with how things went on this project and you would like to prevent this from happening again, but this is impossible in real market and real clients. 

The only thing that you can control is the quality of your work. If you are sure that you did your absolute best, then you will have the maximum probability to keep this long term relationship, but even then you will not be 100% sure. 

It's totally out of your control, by default

maru4ka
Community Member

Well, now I see this.

How freelancer can secure itself from income gap especially? Just taking few projects?

I see, that quality is one of the protection step. Sure it is.

I think we need to include some secure % into hourly rate. 

kinector
Community Member

Income gap? 🙄

The only way to "secure" your freelance business is to build a super-valuable service that is unique in the marketplace of your choice. Something that brings you enough dollars to pay your one month's bills with a couple of days work, max.

All the alternatives to that approach tend to lose to a good well-paid day job where someone else takes the business risk in the long run.

So, build a super-valuable business. By default, it is something that does not only save some costs for your client, but deliver something critical to their business. And something that is much worse without you than with you in the picture.

PS. It's actually easier than it sounds. You just need to be more capable, specialized, and attractive to your dream clients than your competitors. The best part: you define all of this yourself! Your clients, your offering, your competitors, etc. You define your place in the value chain. 😉
maru4ka
Community Member

Thank you for sharing and for your approach!

You might be a super business couch for business developers:)

Yeah, you are totally right. And this is a good step to grow up. New page in freelancer's career. 

Thank you again for sharing and for providing a good motivation.

grimesr
Community Member

Are  you trying to find that one "just right" long term contract? If that is the case, that is more like trying to find a job, not being a freelancer.

A suggestion is to respond to as many possible projects where you should have  a great chance to get the contract. Throw them out there and see what sticks. Many of us only get a few out of many, but those few are good ones where we can show success. Remember, if you get really lucky and a bunch of your clients want you, you are in the driver's seat. You can take the contract or not and you can even tell some you are busy now but would hope they would contact again in the future if they have other projects.

When you send out your proposals, take them out of your mind. Don't waste energy trying to figure what clients do with proposals, it is a waste of energy.

There are no guarantees on landing any projects. Just do your best and time will tell the outcome.

maru4ka
Community Member

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, you are absolutely right. I am worried about energy loss.

Like previosly I had a brilliant project for me, but suddenly I was also cutted and it was such a shock for me.

Well, sure, work is work. 

I am just a little bit confused why some projects go propely, and some project just stucked with no any objective reason, even if you are doing your best.

Thank you! I noted that we do not need to figure to much about clients.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members