cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating for an on-site freelance work/visa issues?

m_nevistic
Mirko N Member Since: Aug 28, 2016
1 of 17

I have accepted a freelance project that requires me to move and execute it on-site inside client's company. 

This requires for me to move to client's country for the duration of the project (one month). 

I have accepted those terms and we want to regulate all the payments and milestones through UpWork. 

Problem is that country I need to move requires individuals of my nationality to have a visa to be able to work inside it. 

I am not entirely sure that this kind of work (on-site freelance) falls under visa regulated area of work and I hope somebody can shed some light on this area? 

Anybody with a similar experience? 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 17

As what you are doing essentially constitutes the opposite of Upwork's hire-remote-workers business model, you may need to look for useful information and experience elsewhere.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 17

lol let me guess. The country is the US and you want to change your location to the US. amirite?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 17

Mirco,

Two things:

1) Your client needs to work with the authorities in their country to work out what they need to do for you to be able to work on site in their country. The authorities will tell your client exactly what you will need to do and what the client needs to do. Nobody here is a legal expert for every country, do not take any advice here other than "Get your client to contact the authorities!"

2) There are some nasty scams on the net that involve victims being conned into paying for presumed work permits or offical documentation to come and work at the client's location. It is VERY rare that any Upwork client hires a freelancer from a different country to work at their location. In fact all such cases I have heard of did eventually turn out to be scams...

Make sure that the client pays for any and all cost from their end. If you are at any point asked by the client to send any money anywhere for anything at all - RUN THE OTHER WAY!

This widget could not be displayed.
5 of 17

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
6 of 17

MIRKO - I Highly doubt ANY client on here is going to hire someone from another country to come over to their country to work physically in their country AND pay costs for that (plane fare, hotel/lodging, food etc) All clients, if that's needed have a Vast supply of contractors living in the clients country that the client can pick from. Most jobs can also be done remotely especially if it's IT technology field.

This just doesn't feel or seem right to me (iMO) no matter how wonderful the job description is or how wonderful and worthwhile the clients communicates to you.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 17

In spite of what Preston (nearly always says) - I think you need to do some serious research.

8 of 17

m_nevistic
Mirko N Member Since: Aug 28, 2016
9 of 17

Thank You all for answers. 

Both me and the client are located in Europe. Work to be done is very specific in terms of needed hardware and software, therefore the need for my relocation. 

Being part of on online freelance market, I completely understand Your doubts and concerns about client and project legitimacy. Still, I am positivily sure about it. So, for the sake of constructive answers, please everybody take it as a fact when adding to the conversation.

What I am in doubts about, is that visa for my nationality is granted on the basis of a company stating a need for somebody's skills that can't be fulfilled on the local job market, hence the need for a foreigner. In my situation, such need exists, but we would like to keep the relation on the UpWork and therefore I do not need to be officially employed by them. Therefore, I am searching for a way to regulate my status of a 'freelancer based in SomeCountry' to be able to do this on-site work. 

10 of 17

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS