cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating for an on-site freelance work/visa issues?

cristina-popa
Ace Contributor
Cristina P Member Since: Apr 19, 2015
11 of 17

@Mirko N wrote:

Thank You all for answers. 

Both me and the client are located in Europe. Work to be done is very specific in terms of needed hardware and software, therefore the need for my relocation. 

Being part of on online freelance market, I completely understand Your doubts and concerns about client and project legitimacy. Still, I am positivily sure about it. So, for the sake of constructive answers, please everybody take it as a fact when adding to the conversation.

What I am in doubts about, is that visa for my nationality is granted on the basis of a company stating a need for somebody's skills that can't be fulfilled on the local job market, hence the need for a foreigner. In my situation, such need exists, but we would like to keep the relation on the UpWork and therefore I do not need to be officially employed by them. Therefore, I am searching for a way to regulate my status of a 'freelancer based in SomeCountry' to be able to do this on-site work. 

You're located in the EU and you don't need a visa for any European country. What you do need is a work permit. You certainly cannot say you're a tourist when you're saying hi to the Swiss (just a mere example) customs officer. Your client must provide you/facilitate a work authorization in that particular country. Any type of consultancy or relocation for the purpose of delivering professional services must be on official terms. Even if for a few days.

This widget could not be displayed.
12 of 17

cristina-popa
Ace Contributor
Cristina P Member Since: Apr 19, 2015
13 of 17
Do you mean a visa, Margarete? I posted without knowing the nationality of the OP. My mistake.

@Margarete M wrote:

Europe consists of more than 40 countries and also a few extraterritorial regions. There are countries where besides a work permission a visum is necessary as well.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 17

The bottom line is:

It does not matter whether the job is funnelled through Upwork or not .- client and freelancer must get in touch with the authorities to ascertain what needs to be done.

I suspect client and freelancer did NOT meet on Upwork, and are trying to find a way to get around visa and work permit issues BY funnelling the project through Upwork in order to avoid having to deal with those issues.....

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 17

Yep. All kinds of shady going on here. 

16 of 17

m_nevistic
Mirko N Member Since: Aug 28, 2016
17 of 17

Initial contact was after an UpWork job ad. 

Searching for options and asking for other people's experience on matters that are unknown for me seems like a logical approach. 
Thank you Petra, Cristina and Margarete for your constructive answers. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS