Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Remind Client about Additional Fee

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Annisa S Member Since: Aug 3, 2019
1 of 11

Hi All,

 

I am working with a great client right now. She has a lot of requests but she always gives clear instructions and very communicative. But 2 days ago, when I already completed about 80% of my design, she asked the revision from the beginning, all color theme has to be changed and many additional changes come. I am not really upset because she offers an additional fee for me (which is very fair enough).

My questions are: is this additional fee will become tips or have to be changed in escrow by the client? Do you have any idea how I can remind her about that fee politely because the job will be finished soon? 

Thanks before Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
2 of 11

Annisa S wrote:

Hi All,

 

I am working with a great client right now. She has a lot of requests but she always gives clear instructions and very communicative. But 2 days ago, when I already completed about 80% of my design, she asked the revision from the beginning, all color theme has to be changed and many additional changes come. I am not really upset because she offers an additional fee for me (which is very fair enough).

My questions are: is this additional fee will become tips or have to be changed in escrow by the client? Do you have any idea how I can remind her about that fee politely because the job will be finished soon? 

Thanks before Smiley Happy


Never feel pressured into providing more work than agreed upon. Explain to your client what was covered in the original agreement, how long it will take to implement the changes, and how much this will cost. 

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
3 of 11

Annisa S wrote:

 

My questions are: is this additional fee will become tips or have to be changed in escrow by the client? Do you have any idea how I can remind her about that fee politely because the job will be finished soon? 


If this is a fixed price job, you should create a new milestone for the revisions and ask your client to fund it BEFORE you start working, not after.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
4 of 11

Christine A wrote:

Annisa S wrote:

 

My questions are: is this additional fee will become tips or have to be changed in escrow by the client? Do you have any idea how I can remind her about that fee politely because the job will be finished soon? 


If this is a fixed price job, you should create a new milestone for the revisions and ask your client to fund it BEFORE you start working, not after.


The situation was slightly complicated by the fact that Annisa hadn't yet completed the first milestone. The new milestone couldn't be funded before the old milestone was ended. She could have requested payment for the first milestone immediately (either the full amount or just 80%), and then the client could have activated and funded a new milestone. Or Annisa could have continued on the first milestone until she'd done the originally anticipated amount of work, and then requested payment of the  original amount, followed by a new milestone for the additional amount.

 

Ace Contributor
Annisa S Member Since: Aug 3, 2019
5 of 11

Can I just click 'Add Milestones" and enter the amount of additional fee she offered?

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
6 of 11
Annisa S wrote:

Can I just click 'Add Milestones" and enter the amount of additional fee she offered?


Freelancers adding milestones is a new option, which I'd forgotten about. I'm not sure exactly how it works. I guess you could do that, then request payment for the first milestone and wait for the client to activate the new milestone.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
BEST ANSWER
7 of 11

Annisa S wrote:

Hi All,

 

I am working with a great client right now. She has a lot of requests but she always gives clear instructions and very communicative. But 2 days ago, when I already completed about 80% of my design, she asked the revision from the beginning, all color theme has to be changed and many additional changes come. I am not really upset because she offers an additional fee for me (which is very fair enough).

My questions are: is this additional fee will become tips or have to be changed in escrow by the client? Do you have any idea how I can remind her about that fee politely because the job will be finished soon? 

Thanks before Smiley Happy


Annisa, it sounds like you have a good relationship with your client and trust her. If you're happy to wait until the work is finished and then be paid the full amount, I would just send her a message with your payment request, reminding her off the extra payment. Then, when she releases the escrow funds to you, she can edit the amount, and increase it to the new total you agreed on. Alternatively she could pay you the extra amount as a bonus.

 

You could still request payment for the first milestone now, before you complete the work, followed by a second milestone which would be paid when the work is complete. But at this late stage I think that might be awkward.

Ace Contributor
Annisa S Member Since: Aug 3, 2019
8 of 11

Thanks, Richard, very clear explanation. I will communicate it with her immediately. I hope she will be cooperative about this. 

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
9 of 11

Annisa S wrote:

Thanks, Richard, very clear explanation. I will communicate it with her immediately. I hope she will be cooperative about this. 


It looks like you are doing very well, great work!

Ace Contributor
Annisa S Member Since: Aug 3, 2019
10 of 11

Mark F wrote:

Annisa S wrote:

Thanks, Richard, very clear explanation. I will communicate it with her immediately. I hope she will be cooperative about this. 


It looks like you are doing very well, great work!


Oh hi, Mark! From the last thread, I won that job and got another job (this job). Both of them are great! Many thanks

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS