🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Remind Client about Additional Fee
Page options
annisa_sarah
Community Member

Remind Client about Additional Fee

Hi All,

I am working with a great client right now. She has a lot of requests but she always gives clear instructions and very communicative. But 2 days ago, when I already completed about 80% of my design, she asked the revision from the beginning, all color theme has to be changed and many additional changes come. I am not really upset because she offers an additional fee for me (which is very fair enough).

My questions are: is this additional fee will become tips or have to be changed in escrow by the client? Do you have any idea how I can remind her about that fee politely because the job will be finished soon? 

Thanks before 🙂

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
richard_wein
Community Member

Annisa S wrote:

Hi All,

I am working with a great client right now. She has a lot of requests but she always gives clear instructions and very communicative. But 2 days ago, when I already completed about 80% of my design, she asked the revision from the beginning, all color theme has to be changed and many additional changes come. I am not really upset because she offers an additional fee for me (which is very fair enough).

My questions are: is this additional fee will become tips or have to be changed in escrow by the client? Do you have any idea how I can remind her about that fee politely because the job will be finished soon? 

Thanks before 🙂

Annisa, it sounds like you have a good relationship with your client and trust her. If you're happy to wait until the work is finished and then be paid the full amount, I would just send her a message with your payment request, reminding her off the extra payment. Then, when she releases the escrow funds to you, she can edit the amount, and increase it to the new total you agreed on. Alternatively she could pay you the extra amount as a bonus.

You could still request payment for the first milestone now, before you complete the work, followed by a second milestone which would be paid when the work is complete. But at this late stage I think that might be awkward.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Annisa S wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks before 🙂

Never feel pressured into providing more work than agreed upon. Explain to your client what was covered in the original agreement, how long it will take to implement the changes, and how much this will cost. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Annisa S wrote:

If this is a fixed price job, you should create a new milestone for the revisions and ask your client to fund it BEFORE you start working, not after.

Christine A wrote:

Annisa S wrote:

If this is a fixed price job, you should create a new milestone for the revisions and ask your client to fund it BEFORE you start working, not after.

The situation was slightly complicated by the fact that Annisa hadn't yet completed the first milestone. The new milestone couldn't be funded before the old milestone was ended. She could have requested payment for the first milestone immediately (either the full amount or just 80%), and then the client could have activated and funded a new milestone. Or Annisa could have continued on the first milestone until she'd done the originally anticipated amount of work, and then requested payment of the  original amount, followed by a new milestone for the additional amount.

Can I just click 'Add Milestones" and enter the amount of additional fee she offered?

Annisa S wrote:

Can I just click 'Add Milestones" and enter the amount of additional fee she offered?

Freelancers adding milestones is a new option, which I'd forgotten about. I'm not sure exactly how it works. I guess you could do that, then request payment for the first milestone and wait for the client to activate the new milestone.

richard_wein
Community Member

Annisa S wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks before 🙂

Annisa, it sounds like you have a good relationship with your client and trust her. If you're happy to wait until the work is finished and then be paid the full amount, I would just send her a message with your payment request, reminding her off the extra payment. Then, when she releases the escrow funds to you, she can edit the amount, and increase it to the new total you agreed on. Alternatively she could pay you the extra amount as a bonus.

You could still request payment for the first milestone now, before you complete the work, followed by a second milestone which would be paid when the work is complete. But at this late stage I think that might be awkward.

Thanks, Richard, very clear explanation. I will communicate it with her immediately. I hope she will be cooperative about this. 

Annisa S wrote:

Thanks, Richard, very clear explanation. I will communicate it with her immediately. I hope she will be cooperative about this. 

It looks like you are doing very well, great work!

Mark F wrote:

Annisa S wrote:

Oh hi, Mark! From the last thread, I won that job and got another job (this job). Both of them are great! Many thanks

Annisa S wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Annisa S wrote:

Oh hi, Mark! From the last thread, I won that job and got another job (this job). Both of them are great! Many thank

Oh, you are welcome, I don't really remember what I did but I am glad if it was helpful.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths