🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Remote work hours
Page options
c396418c
Community Member

Remote work hours

I just got my first gig on upwork. After two days I Terminated my contract because the client had other methods of recording work times that does not fall in line with the upwork guidelines I have read up on. I felt misled by the job description as he did not state that it would be a prerequisite that payment and hours worked will only be determined if loom recordings correlated with upwork time. Half way through a work day this was disclosed and confirmed. In zoom meetings following my application this was not disclosed either. I accepted my contract and again this was not disclosed. The task given by the client is a simple straight forward entry level recruitment task with no great risk. Often the client is unresponsive, my contract started on the 28th May. I arrived for work but the client was slow to communicate. I had a zoom meet with the client and waited for further instructions. The client was unresponsive, my time was wasted and no work was done that day. The following Monday I presented myself for work but the client was no where to be found. I sent a few messages to be acknowledged that I was present for work but again the client was unresponsive. I lost 2 days and hours for billing work that I could have given to someone else yet the client does not find it at all a big deal. Client is a slow communicator often unresponsive. I found myself waiting on the client often as he is unresponsive. As a seasoned HR professional I have not had my work evaluated this way. As someone who is familiar to working remote these work methods are new to me. As someone who implemented performance based strategies and understands this concept I struggled to see the value in this work method presented by the client. To my knowledge I have not given the client reason to doubt my performance, I put in a great volume of work in only 2days. I would like the client to be more clear on his work expectations prior to employing a freelancer. People should know up front what they signing up for.
Researched further into this person online and its all suspicious. He goes by **Edited for Community Guidelines**. To date I have not been paid and unsure if this person has blocked me. I am not sure how I will get my payment from this person

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

2 REPLIES 2
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Samanthe,

I'm sorry the contract with the client didn't go as expected. It's best practice to discuss all the terms, deadlines, rates and budgets before the offer is accepted and reference them if any issues come up. I'd also like to confirm that payments on Hourly Contracts are processed automatically according to the weekly billing cycle provided the time is tracked properly.
Note that your client can file a dispute for the hours you logged during previous work week. You can choose to accept the dispute and have all disputed hours refunded to the client. Alternatively, you can reject it and then Upwork’s Mediation Team will review the Work Diary against the terms of
Upwork Hourly ProtectionFor more information about the process, please see this help article.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you for the above and I will be mindful of this going forward. How
can I ensure I am paid. The client has absconded again.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members