🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Remove No Feedback Given Projects?
Page options
firsteditor
Community Member

Remove No Feedback Given Projects?

As a resume writer, almost every project I have is short-term; we get the job done and call it  a day. Consequently, some clients finish the contract without leaving feedback, which brings down my rating. Every piece of feedback I've received has been excellent. Can I disable or retire projects with no feedback? Thanks.

Sharyn E
10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Sharyn wrote:

As a resume writer, almost every project I have is short-term; we get the job done and call it  a day. Consequently, some clients finish the contract without leaving feedback, which brings down my rating. Every piece of feedback I've received has been excellent. Can I disable or retire projects with no feedback? Thanks.

Nope. Your rating is down because of poor private feedback, not because of those "no feedback" contracts.

Take a look at your private feedback percentage (the clients who would recommend you" percentage on your "My Stats page")

Public feedback is only a small part of your JSS.

Sharyn wrote:

Can I disable or retire projects with no feedback?

No, you can't.

How can I view private feedback?

Sharyn E

Sharyn E wrote:

How can I view private feedback?

Hey there. You can't view the actual private feedback. You can get hints of who may have left it - i.e. your JSS went down right after a certain project closed, there were issues during a specific project, or whatever - but that isn't always reliable, especially if you have more than one job going on at any given time.

You can gauge how good/bad your private feedback is overall by looking at your Clients Would Recommend percentage on your Stats page, but you won't know exactly what the private feedback is for any given client.

It's private *from us*, the freelancers, (I believe) so we can't stalk clients demanding to know why they gave us a specific low rating. I mean technically we still can, but it's more of a guess than a sure thing now and it seems like it's here to stay. There also seems to have been an issue where clients are/were uncomfortable outright showing a negative rating for their own reasons. Private feedback makes them more comfortable with being honest.

Hah! Guess I'm stuck with it, then, as unfair as it seems. Certainly there's no point to my job if the client isn't completely comfortable with the work I'm doing, so I put in a lot of effort to ensure that that's the case. If they walk away less than happy for any reason and don't tell me about it, there's no way for me to fix it.

Sharyn E

Sharyn E wrote:

Hah! Guess I'm stuck with it, then, as unfair as it seems. Certainly there's no point to my job if the client isn't completely comfortable with the work I'm doing, so I put in a lot of effort to ensure that that's the case. If they walk away less than happy for any reason and don't tell me about it, there's no way for me to fix it.

Technically, no, but if you keep your eyes open about the jobs you do, there can often be hints.

I would never ask a client what went "wrong," so to speak, but I would go over the most recent job or jobs in my mind to think about whether I was giving my all, whether the client seemed hesitant about certain aspects, whether I really was an expert at the type of job given, and so on.

I find it helpful to remember that the JSS is not meant to be a feedback tool for FLs. It's designed to help clients sift through the zillions of FLs on the site. A lot of people claim that it's unfair, but IMO it is fair because it applies the same to all of us, across the board. We are so varied that inevitably, it's not a really good fit for anybody's business model or situation. But that shouldn't matter very much because out in the b&m world, there's no such thing. We have to use our spidey sense and suss out clues and hints, to have an idea of what our clients are really thinking. To the extent any FL can do that here, the JSS more or less takes care of itself.

Phyllis G wrote:

I find it helpful to remember that the JSS is not meant to be a feedback tool for FLs. It's designed to help clients sift through the zillions of FLs on the site. A lot of people claim that it's unfair, but IMO it is fair because it applies the same to all of us, across the board. We are so varied that inevitably, it's not a really good fit for anybody's business model or situation. But that shouldn't matter very much because out in the b&m world, there's no such thing. We have to use our spidey sense and suss out clues and hints, to have an idea of what our clients are really thinking. To the extent any FL can do that here, the JSS more or less takes care of itself.

I think the relevant question is whether the JSS algorithm does a good job of measuring a freelancer's success relative to other freelancers. A random number generator would be "fair" in the sense of being the same algorithm for everyone, but it wouldn't be fit for purpose. It wouldn't be any use to clients.

It seems that a significant number of freelancers have inappropriately HIGH JSS. Just the other day I had a potential client comment that he'd tried another freelancer, who'd wasted a lot of his time, and he couldn't understand why that freelancer had 100% JSS. And we often hear similar stories in the Clients forum. Of course, I recognise that this anecdotal evidence may not be representative.

A system which rates people inaccurately (too high or too low) is not only unfair to good freelancers but unfair to clients.

tlbp
Community Member

This is what clients are asked about in private feedback. Would they tell others to use your services? The client may have been "okay" with a freelancer's work but not so thrilled with it that they would refer a friend. That's all it means.

Image 2018-09-20 at 11.34.21 AM.png

In general, I have found that my feedback is worse when I overpromise or overextend myself. It is important to manage client expectations from the beginning of the project. If you tell them you'll have something done by Friday, make sure you can get it done by Thursday. And, if part of a project is beyond your expertise--tell them to hire someone else for that part. 

And, if you want sincere input on where you can improve, wait until after the contract is closed and the feedback is given (or time is up for it to be given) and ask. The client may or may not get back to you, but you can try. 

Petra R wrote:

Nope. Your rating is down because of poor private feedback, not because of those "no feedback" contracts.

60% of her contracts from the past two years have no feedback. Surely that's enough to constitute that "pattern of no feedback" the mods are always saying can take a toll on JSS?

Tiffany S wrote:

Petra R wrote:

60% of her contracts from the past two years have no feedback. Surely that's enough to constitute that "pattern of no feedback" the mods are always saying can take a toll on JSS?

Maybe. Maybe not. We'd have to know what the private feedback percentage is to be able to take an educated guess. - Sharyn, what **is** your private feedback percentage (the clients who would recommend you" percentage on your "My Stats page" ?)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths