cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Removing review after winning arbitrage

Ace Contributor
Alexander S Member Since: Mar 26, 2018
41 of 68

One more nice touch: withdrawals are blocked on my account, so I can not withdraw money I made from other contracts. I would kinda understand if Upwork blocked the amount I was "supposed" to return due to a charge back (it's just $400) but blocking my ability to withdraw money in general seems to be too much, after all it's my major source of income. I was supposed to get a response on the ticket within two days but the deadline is passed. This situation gets more and more comical (I get punished more and more for others' faults), there's just one more step left to reach the peak of absurdity: ban my account Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
42 of 68

Alexander S wrote:

One more nice touch: withdrawals are blocked on my account, so I can not withdraw money I made from other contracts. I would kinda understand if Upwork blocked the amount I was "supposed" to return due to a charge back (it's just $400) but blocking my ability to withdraw money in general seems to be too much, after all it's my major source of income. I was supposed to get a response on the ticket within two days but the deadline is passed. This situation gets more and more comical (I get punished more and more for others' faults), there's just one more step left to reach the peak of absurdity: ban my account Smiley Happy

I feel you brah and this situation is nasty and I can't say what I want about it on here. 

When you get a chargeback (or Upwork takes money that has already been paid out), it comes out of your "Pending" money. If the chargeback is more than what you have in Pending, the amount in review will be used to pay off the negative balance. You basically have to work to pay off the balance.

I'm just a freelancer that can share your rage and don't blame you for being angry, but this is the way it is.

Ace Contributor
43 of 68

I'm not really angry anymore, I'm pass that stage Smiley Happy Now I find it kinda funny, every day new surprise.

It would totally make sense if they deducted $400 from my currently Available money. They did not. I have way more than $400 marked as Available and I can't use any of it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
44 of 68

Alexander S wrote:

I'm not really angry anymore, I'm pass that stage Smiley Happy Now I find it kinda funny, every day new surprise.

It would totally make sense if they deducted $400 from my currently Available money. They did not. I have way more than $400 marked as Available and I can't use any of it.

Yeah I know man. You either laugh or cry about this stuff. Laughing about it is so much more healthy lol. 

So, if you have over $400 in review, then when it becomes available after the 5 day security hold, it'll move to Pending and pay off your negative balance. Whatever is left is what you can withdraw.

Escrow is really terrible unless you are prepared for a chargeback or want to fight to get your money. I went from a majority of escrow projects to doing mainly hourly now to avoid this stuff. This is just a suggestion as someone who has had plenty of slapfights over escrow.

Ace Contributor
45 of 68

Just to clarify, the money I can't withdraw passed Pending stage and is in Available since yesterday: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wrlscfxg8soa2a/Screenshot%202019-02-14%2020.53.11.png?dl=0 Upwork did not deduct $400 from my Available balances, they just blocked my withdrawal ability

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
46 of 68

Alexander S wrote:

Just to clarify, the money I can't withdraw passed Pending stage and is in Available since yesterday. Upwork did not deduct $400 from my Available balances, they just blocked my withdrawal ability

I would go absolutely ballistic.  Is it "just" the 400 Dollars the client did a chargeback for?

Ace Contributor
47 of 68

$400 was paid upfront as a bonus (which is basically an instantly released milestone) and $3000 more was in Escrow. I received a message saying $400 will be refunded by deducting from my Available balance (unfortunately it's not what happened). I suppose he also did a chargeback for $3000, that's why Upwork has trouble paying it off after I won the arbitration.

Community Guru
48 of 68

Alexander S wrote:

$400 was paid upfront as a bonus (which is basically an instantly released milestone) and $3000 more was in Escrow. I received a message saying $400 will be refunded by deducting from my Available balance (unfortunately it's not what happened). I suppose he also did a chargeback for $3000, that's why Upwork has trouble paying it off after I won the arbitration.

I really am so sorry Smiley Sad Ater all the stuff with the arbitration, and you paying for arbitration, and winning something that is supposed to be legally finding, this is heavy handed and adds insult to injury!!

Ace Contributor
49 of 68

A short update. I finally got a response from Upwork. They confirmed the review will not be deleted no matter what and said they were still figuring out the chargeback and would get back to me next week. So it looks like there're two outcomes:

1. They will not win the fight over the chargeback and the contract will be marked as unpaid ($0 paid), so the review (the public part of it) will be removed

2. I'm getting paid for this contract and the review will be there till I get another perk to remove it

I'm not even sure which option I prefer as a negative review might cost me way more than $3k

Community Guru
50 of 68

Alexander S wrote:

A short update. I finally got a response from Upwork. They confirmed the review will not be deleted no matter what

told you so...

The "good news" (if there is such a thing in all that mess) is that the contract will not affect your JSS due to the client being suspended (a chargeback means instant and permanent suspension)

I don't think the feedback is going to do you much, if any harm. I am not ususally a fan of commenting feedback as it tends to backfire, but I do thing your response does a great deal of damage limitation. It'll soon drop down the page.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS