cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing review after winning arbitrage

alexidsa
Ace Contributor

I had a client who unfairly did not pay for my work (funds were in escrow) and left a negative review (again, unfairly), so I went to arbitrage (the real arbitrage when you pay about $300 for the proceedings) and just received a message saying I've won it. My questions is whether it is possible to remove a review if I won the arbitrage? It seems like an obvious next step (basically, I've proven the review was wrong) but I don't see any mechanism how I could do it (assuming I don't have a top-rated perk and I don't want to refund all the money paid to remove a public review)

67 REPLIES 67

I'm not really angry anymore, I'm pass that stage 🙂 Now I find it kinda funny, every day new surprise.

It would totally make sense if they deducted $400 from my currently Available money. They did not. I have way more than $400 marked as Available and I can't use any of it.

Alexander S wrote:

I'm not really angry anymore, I'm pass that stage 🙂 Now I find it kinda funny, every day new surprise.

It would totally make sense if they deducted $400 from my currently Available money. They did not. I have way more than $400 marked as Available and I can't use any of it.

Yeah I know man. You either laugh or cry about this stuff. Laughing about it is so much more healthy lol. 

So, if you have over $400 in review, then when it becomes available after the 5 day security hold, it'll move to Pending and pay off your negative balance. Whatever is left is what you can withdraw.

Escrow is really terrible unless you are prepared for a chargeback or want to fight to get your money. I went from a majority of escrow projects to doing mainly hourly now to avoid this stuff. This is just a suggestion as someone who has had plenty of slapfights over escrow.

Just to clarify, the money I can't withdraw passed Pending stage and is in Available since yesterday: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wrlscfxg8soa2a/Screenshot%202019-02-14%2020.53.11.png?dl=0 Upwork did not deduct $400 from my Available balances, they just blocked my withdrawal ability

Alexander S wrote:

Just to clarify, the money I can't withdraw passed Pending stage and is in Available since yesterday. Upwork did not deduct $400 from my Available balances, they just blocked my withdrawal ability

I would go absolutely ballistic.  Is it "just" the 400 Dollars the client did a chargeback for?

$400 was paid upfront as a bonus (which is basically an instantly released milestone) and $3000 more was in Escrow. I received a message saying $400 will be refunded by deducting from my Available balance (unfortunately it's not what happened). I suppose he also did a chargeback for $3000, that's why Upwork has trouble paying it off after I won the arbitration.

Alexander S wrote:

$400 was paid upfront as a bonus (which is basically an instantly released milestone) and $3000 more was in Escrow. I received a message saying $400 will be refunded by deducting from my Available balance (unfortunately it's not what happened). I suppose he also did a chargeback for $3000, that's why Upwork has trouble paying it off after I won the arbitration.

I really am so sorry 😞 Ater all the stuff with the arbitration, and you paying for arbitration, and winning something that is supposed to be legally finding, this is heavy handed and adds insult to injury!!

A short update. I finally got a response from Upwork. They confirmed the review will not be deleted no matter what and said they were still figuring out the chargeback and would get back to me next week. So it looks like there're two outcomes:

1. They will not win the fight over the chargeback and the contract will be marked as unpaid ($0 paid), so the review (the public part of it) will be removed

2. I'm getting paid for this contract and the review will be there till I get another perk to remove it

I'm not even sure which option I prefer as a negative review might cost me way more than $3k

Alexander S wrote:

A short update. I finally got a response from Upwork. They confirmed the review will not be deleted no matter what

told you so...

The "good news" (if there is such a thing in all that mess) is that the contract will not affect your JSS due to the client being suspended (a chargeback means instant and permanent suspension)

I don't think the feedback is going to do you much, if any harm. I am not ususally a fan of commenting feedback as it tends to backfire, but I do thing your response does a great deal of damage limitation. It'll soon drop down the page.

Thanks! I forgot about this nuance. If I don't get paid, at least both public and private reviews will be removed. Though it's still confusing why Upwork doesn't remove reviews (or at least is open to removing those reviews on demand) after banning a person for fraud.

I've just received an update saying my ability to withdraw funds will be blocked for up to 45 days while Upwork is disputing the chargeback. It's still beyond me why it is necessary to block all my money instead of $400...

tlbp
Community Guru

Alexander S wrote:

I've just received an update saying my ability to withdraw funds will be blocked for up to 45 days while Upwork is disputing the chargeback. It's still beyond me why it is necessary to block all my money instead of $400...

Yeah, they need to fix that. Upwork, you should consider hiring better lawyers. 

alexidsa
Ace Contributor

I'm not even sure this particular issue has anything to do with laweyrs. For me it looks like 100% software issue: their software is not smart enough to block a specific amount of money, so they have to block the whole account.

Alexander S wrote:

I'm not even sure this particular issue has anything to do with laweyrs. For me it looks like 100% software issue: their software is not smart enough to block a specific amount of money, so they have to block the whole account.

No, but what they could do would be manually send the rest to your designated bank account or withdrawal method - say if you had 1350 Dollars in your Upwork account and they wanted to snatch back the $ 400 they could manually disburse $ 950, while keeping your account suspended.

However, they don't do that, or at least I've not seen it...

Yeah, blocking a freelancer's account for 1.5 month for no good reason is just too much. I feel like American government workers: they did nothing wrong but someone decided to shut down the government, so they were not getting paid 🙂

I've received a notification saying Upwork won a chargeback for $400 that I was paid as a bonus upfront, so my account was unlocked I can withdraw money now. At the same time they're still fighting for a $3000 chargeback and it seems like bad news to me as the only reason for $3000 taking longer is that the client doesn't have enough money on his account. We discussed two relatively positive scenarios: I get no money and a review gets removed and I get all the money but the review will be still there (though likely not influencing jss due to client's account ban). Currently it looks like I might get stuck in between those two scenarios: get just a small portion of money and review is not removed

Alexander S wrote:

At the same time they're still fighting for a $3000 chargeback and it seems like bad news to me as the only reason for $3000 taking longer is that the client doesn't have enough money on his account.

Where do you get that idea from?

That has no effect on winning or losing a chargeback. Either the chargeback was justified or it was not.

Personally I would suspect that it takes longer because there is a third party involved (the arbitrators) and because it is a significantly higher sum of money - but that makes a win more likely (NOT certain) because the client made a legally binding commitment to abide by the arbitration outcome. Winning the first is a good sign.

Hang in there!!

Chargeback and insufficient funds are two different things. One is fraud and the other one isn't. Kinda cool to see that Upwork fights chargebacks. I mean, I assumed they did but we only ever see when the freelancer loses.

What I meant by "not enough money" is a hypothetical situation like this:

1. A client depostis money on a debit card

2. He pays $400 as a bonus

3. Then he pays $3000 for the escrow

4. Then he charges back and withdraws most of the money (let's say, there's just $500 left)

5. Upwork convinces the bank they're right but there's enough money only for $400

6. I'm not sure what the bank is supposed to do in this case but I doubt they return their money and then deal with the client. I suppose they're trying to convince the client to deposit enough funds (though I doubt they would sue him for such a small amount of money). On the positive side, I'm happy it happened with the client from the US as in other countries I think my chances would be way lower.

Though it's just a hypothesis, there might be other reasons why it takes longer to fight for the larger portion of money.

I don't think banks give back money during a dispute though. It's why you (general you) don't want to use a debit card or if you're a victim of identity theft where someone goes to your bank and empties your account, you have to wait for the fraud people to get your money back. That's why it's better to use a credit card online. If the number gets stolen, you're not out any money during a dispute.

I'm in the US though, so maybe things work differently in other countries.

I did not expect this whole situation to get any worse but here we go 🙂

I just noticed clients stopped responding on my proposals. It was very suspicious as I'm #1 in Upwork's rating in my field, so people respond to me a lot (i. e. my "you were interviewed" stat was at 100% for a while). First, I've noticed "you were hired" and "you were viewed" dropped and it was strange but I found out "your profile was discovered" was at zero. I could explain a slight drop due to the negative review but it could not drop as much. My theory is that I was shadow banned (or something along those lines).

Screenshot 2019-02-27 14.54.14.png

Alexander S wrote:

I did not expect this whole situation to get any worse but here we go 🙂

I just noticed clients stopped responding on my proposals. It was very suspicious as I'm #1 in Upwork's rating in my field, so people respond to me a lot (i. e. my "you were interviewed" stat was at 100% for a while). First, I've noticed "you were hired" and "you were viewed" dropped and it was strange but I found out "your profile was discovered" was at zero. I could explain a slight drop due to the negative review but it could not drop as much. My theory is that I was shadow banned (or something along those lines).

Screenshot 2019-02-27 14.54.14.png

You might have missed this thread.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS