Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering ,Thinking phase, video play etc AND Timer App

lordmystirio
Sêyivê Fréjus P Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
1 of 22

Hello everyone,

Hope this day see you all fine. I have a concern regarding how the Time tracking software works.

#1  _ thinking phase (before, while and at the end phase of the job)

#2 _ 3d rendering

#3 _ watching video (for the job) or listening to hours of audio (for the job)

#4 _ downloading HUGE  files (for the job)

how are we supposed to bill those hours? Most of clients won't listen. Is there an alternate way to bill those? Otherwise it feels very unfair because a ton of work do not involve keystrokes or touching the mouse.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 22

It's one of the main reasons I only do fixed price projects. There are very few jobs that don;t involve a decent amount of thinking and planning, so it's difficult to make sure such things are officially logged. Not really sure how other people do it though, but hopefully those who do a lot of hourly projects will be able to chip in.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 22

Every single thing I do for a client on an hourly contract counts, and the time tracker is on the WHOLE time. Whether I am watching his video in order to do the job, the writing I need to do for the job, or the email I am writing....for the job...and the tracker takes snapshots of these. Also, if I have to do research, I make sure he knows that any webpages that he might see snapshots of, are all related to doing his job...ergo...I make sure there are no social media tabs open etc. and only ones related to what I am working on.

Thinking however, is a different matter....as I could be watching the T.V. or reading a book while doing so....however, if I am thinking about the job and making notes of it, I do so on a Word file...so that the client can see I am busy with HIS job....

lordmystirio
Sêyivê Fréjus P Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
4 of 22

Thank you both for your answers. But Irene, you know, even if the tracker is on while you are downloading their files, watching videos or doing rendering at the end of the day you won't get paid for it since while of course you get screenshots, you do not get mouse track keystrokes and they clients won't be billed for it.

I wish there was actually a way to make those screenshots count.

bmvdwest
Bradley V Member Since: Jun 22, 2016
5 of 22

Hi Irene

I know this is an old post of yours but I was having trouble deciding how I should aproach render time. I'm a video editor and animator and while something is being rendered on my computer I cannot do anything else. Therefore I see it as time that should be billed to the client.

In your experience, how does Upwork deal with it in terms of key strokes and mouse clicks? The amount of clicks and strokes will obviously be next to nothing for that period, does that mean that Upwork doesn't count that time through the Time Tracker app?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 22

Hi Bradley,

If there's no activity, the Team App will stop tracking time. Also, adequate activity levels are required in order for the segments to be covered by our Hourly Protection program.

Please check this video and this Help article, and learn how to use the Upwork Team App. You can also find more information about working and getting paid on Hourly jobs here and here.

Please upload a photo of yourself that clearly shows your face.

Untitled
bmvdwest
7 of 22

Thanks for the help Vladimir. Smiley Happy

I've changed my profile photo.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 22

Bradley:

Technical answer:

If you aren't doing anything at all on the computer, then it simply won't record those blocks of time. It doesn't track time when the computer is simply processing calculations or rendering, but a human user isn't clicking the mouse and typing.

Also, if your activity levels are low, that fact will show up in your work diary. The client could choose to dispute those hours. Probably the client will not do that if she is happy with your work and the value that you provide. But if those low-activity level hours or ten-minute time blocks WERE disputed, you would lose. The pay would be reversed.

Non-technical answer, other considerations:

You CAN do other things while a long process is rendering. You can do things OFF of your computer. You can do your laundry. You can watch TV. You an go for a walk. Whatever.

Also, you can get a second computer, on which you could do other work, including logging time on the project, or other projects, as long as you're not logging time on two computers simultaneously.

Many of the projects I do involve running lengthy processes. I do not bill for time the computer takes to process lengthy tasks. If I am actively monitoring a process, checking the status, making adjustments, etc., then I have user activity and I am logging time. But if I'm no doing anything and just waiting for long periods of time, I am not logging time.

bmvdwest
9 of 22

Thanks Preston.

Very valid points and counter-arguments. I tend to agree with your sentiments. Thanks for providing the much needed clarity on the situation Smiley Happy

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
10 of 22

Bradley,  Scott E does videos as well.  He wrote "It's one of the main reasons I only do fixed price projects. There are very few jobs that don;t involve a decent amount of thinking and planning, so it's difficult to make sure such things are officially logged. Not really sure how other people do it though, but hopefully those who do a lot of hourly projects will be able to chip in."

Sorta explains why fixed price jobs are the only way to go for some professional skills.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS