cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering ,Thinking phase, video play etc AND Timer App

concepcion_juan
Juan Carlo C Member Since: Nov 7, 2015
11 of 22

I tend to disagree on some points though. The fact that you are running electricity and maintenance cost for the computer is a consideration in your operational cost as a freelancer. Other freelancers also do not have two(2) computers in which the case could be that they will have to wait for the computer to finish the task. 

I think the tool should have a tracker on the computer process/progress to distinguish if it is calculating only or the Upworker is presently working on-hand. And maybe the hourly rate can be lowered down if there is only computer activities and the Upworker is not around. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 22

@Juan Carlo C wrote:

....I think the tool should have a tracker on the computer process/progress to distinguish if it is calculating only or the Upworker is presently working on-hand. And maybe the hourly rate can be lowered down if there is only computer activities and the Upworker is not around. 

It does: screenshots and mouse/keyboard tracking. And when the latter falls to (or too nearly approaches) zero, so does the rate.

Best,

Michael

p.s. "Not around" as in at the beach? On vacation in another country?

concepcion_juan
13 of 22

No. I mean when the computer is in the process like 3D rendering or uploading or saving. What usually happens is that the Upworker just let the computer finish the process. And I think it would be funny if we hang around and stray staright to the monitor waiting and/or just randomly click mouse or do keyoboard clicks. 

What I was thinking was if the tracker can determine speicific computer programs/process which will still count the time(at maybe lower per hour rate cost) even if no keyboard or mouse clicks were made. 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 22

Hi Juan Carlo,

Upwork Team App was designed to track user activity, not autonomous computer activity. If your work process involves the periods if inactivity you mentioned, you can agree with your client to add manual time to your Work Diary, which is not covered by Hourly Payment Protection, or set up the contract as Fixed-Price.

Untitled
concepcion_juan
15 of 22

I agree but this could lengthen the discussion and arguments from the Client which may also lead to fixed price job eventually I think. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
16 of 22

It's called milking.

concepcion_juan
17 of 22

I think not. 

hailey-richards
Hailey R Member Since: Nov 6, 2017
18 of 22

You can't really expect somebody to buy an entire second computer for their work. I'ts a huge extra cost and if you are running a business you would hope to have a worker at each and every computer. Sure I can do laundry or watch tv but I can't work. I'm a rendering artist. Renderings take almost half of my work time.I can't make money and no sane rendering artist would give that for free. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 22

@Hailey R wrote:

You can't really expect somebody to buy an entire second computer for their work. I'ts a huge extra cost and if you are running a business you would hope to have a worker at each and every computer. Sure I can do laundry or watch tv but I can't work. I'm a rendering artist. Renderings take almost half of my work time.I can't make money and no sane rendering artist would give that for free. 

Actually, I'd expect a professional to have the equipment necessary to handle a job in a professional manner that did not include me paying for hours of time she spent cleaning her house or out to lunch with friends while something rendered. How you organize that is your business, but that doesn't and shouldn't make it my problem as a client. The clear solution from the client end is just to hire someone who has adequate equipment to do the job without needing to bill me hourly for time when she's not actually engaged in work.

goldenseal
Community Leader
Joshua T Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
20 of 22

This is just me personally, but I don't see why you'd bill for render time. Yeah, it locks up the CPU somewhat, but if you have a render that's churning away for like, ten hours, that kinda seems like gouging the client.  Especially since there are variables involved on your end like, having a slow machine=more render time, or building an inefficient scene/comp=more render time, etc. Just my two cents.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS