Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renegotiating bidding rate

Highlighted
Jing V Member Since: May 11, 2015
1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I hope that you can shed some light. I don't know if it's been discussed here. Assuming that I got an interview, right, and the client renegotiates my bidding rate. Say, we agree on the hourly rate and I decide to withdraw my initial application and resubmit another showing the agreed upon rate. Is that acceptable in Upwork or is it something that is between the client and myself?  

I'm very curious. Thank you for the responses.

Jing

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 4

It is completely acceptable to re-negotiate rates and Upwork even provides buttons for changing the rate you are asking prior to actually accepting a job.

They wouldn't provide a button to change the rate you are asking if they didn't think it was appropriate to do so.

As a practical and professional matter, I frown on re-negotiating rates during in the middle of a project.

But before you have accepted the contract by responding to the client's Hire button? Absolutely fine.

During the interview process you may have formed a better idea what it is that needs to be done and what kind of job this will be. Use the Upwork messaging system you are communicating with to discuss the rate with your potential client. Tell him what you could do this project for, whether you're discussing an hourly rate or a fixed-price quote.

For the most part, it really needs to be the contractor who sets the rate, because the client doesn't know what something costs to do and (more importantly), he doesn't know what you are willing to do the project for.

The client will be happier and have a better outcome if he is paying you MORE, and you're really committed to the project, then if he's paying you less than what you should really be charging.

Most clients don't actually care about specific hourly rates and fixed-price rates as much as some contractors think. Clients are more interested in having a successul outcome and in obtaining value. The same client who may be willing to pay $25 dollars for a logo that is a quick, unimaginative logo worth $25... may also be willing to pay $500 for a logo that is inspired and thoughtful and truly will be a boon to their business.

It's about value, not just dollar amount.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4

re: "Say, we agree on the hourly rate and I decide to withdraw my initial application and resubmit another showing the agreed upon rate. Is that acceptable in Upwork or is it something that is between the client and myself?  "

There is no such thing as an hourly rate or exchange of funds which is just "between the client and yourself."

All money goes through Upwork. So all rates, whether hourly rates or fixed-price rates, need to be officially in place in the Upwork interface as part of the job contract.

When it comes to money being paid, if there is anything going on that is just between you and the client then that is the kind of thing that would get you both kicked off the platform.

Highlighted
Jing V Member Since: May 11, 2015
4 of 4

"Clients are more interested in having a successul outcome and in obtaining value"

Thank you, sir!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS