🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Report Client Asking for Several Free Samples
Page options
triston
Community Member

Report Client Asking for Several Free Samples

I recently applied for a job on Upwork, and was quickly contacted by the client. 

She wanted to have a meeting on Skype to discuss everything, which I agreed to. 

The next day, she got on Skype again, and asked me to write three samples for her new company. 

I replied to her letting her know that I was not available to write any samples for free because I was busy and directed her towards several sites where my work - that is very similar to what she was looking for - could be viewed. 

She then went radio silent. 

Now, I checked out her profile and it shows that she has hired quite a few freelanncers through Upwork, but that doesn't mean she isn't scamming other freelancers by getting free work. 

What are the repercussions for this and how does Upwork handle such cases?

Because I am pretty sure there are many companies on here that operate the same way.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Just take a screenshot of the request, click on "Flag as inappropriate" on the job post, and choose "client is asking for free work."

Then move on.

d9ece793
Community Member

Same thing happened, I sent a proposal for work and the client was quick to respond and offered to give me different work from what she had posted. She was promising to give me 200 articles to write at $500 but first she wanted me to deliver 10 free samples to see my skills. I told her whatever competency she was testing it could also be evaluated in one sample. She was like "no have a lovely day". Pure scam!

Virginia:

You are correct that this "client" was simply a scammer.

She does not hire people. She ONLY tricks freelancers into giving her work for free.

But you should not have offered one free article. You should point out that clients may evaluate your skills based on your portfolio.

If a client needs custom work done be a freelancer in order to evaluate them, then the client must hire the freelancer to do a paid test. To ask for free work is a violation of Upwork TOS.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

And don't use Skype to communicate with clients before a contract is in place.

That recently became a violation of Upwork's rules:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/217698348-Video-and-Voice-Calls

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members