cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Report Client

Ace Contributor
Yasir S Member Since: Mar 10, 2018
1 of 12

I was talking with a client maybe a month ago and later decided not to start working for him.

He took a lot of "free" work and later wanted to work outside Upwork. As far as I remember, he even told me that he came to Upwork to source people and take them outside of it. I didn't go along with him because of many other stuffs he said.

It just came to my mind that i need to report him. I presume he is doing the same with a lot of freelancers. And maybe took a few away from the platform as well. 

Is there anyone to PM?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 12

There is a perfectly good "Flag as inappropriate" button on every job post.

Use it.  It's not rocket science and you don't have to waste anyone's time to PM them, simply flag the job post as inappropriate or create a ticket to support.

It is not the moderators' job to play messenger.

Ace Contributor
Yasir S Member Since: Mar 10, 2018
3 of 12

I used the "flag" button to report. Then refreshed. Then the button came again. I flagged it again.

Now after a few days i went back and see the job post still there. Why hasn't it been taken down yet?

This client is a big scam!

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 12

Sometimes a job's description doesn't tell the whole story or indicate what's going on. If you have communication of what was said to you, especially the part where the client tells you he's taking freelancer's off site you can create a ticket for that and attach/include proof of that. 

FYI not only would that violate Upwork's TOS for the client, but for every freelancer that agreed to that arrangement and they can also get their account suspended.

In the future do not do free work. You are here to make money. You're not going to be making money giving away work for free. And you've done this several times. Remember, promises do not pay bills, get gas in your car or pay for food. Money does. Don't submit or do work with the intention of more work. Do the job you're hired for. IF you get more work great, if not, that's ok because you weren't expecting it in the first place. 

As for the job still being up, that's Upwork's decision. You did what you were supposed to (flag the job) now move on, It's not your job to look out for others aside from what you've done. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 12

Thank you for your efforts to report this bad client and make the Upwork platform a better place. Now that Petra has told you how to do so properly, it will hopefully be easier for you to do so if you run into something like this in the future.

re: "He took a lot of 'free' work"

And in the future, don't work for free.

A real Upwork client doesn't ask freelancers to work for free. Real Upwork clients pay freelancers for their time and their work.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 12

re: "I used the 'flag' button to report. Then refreshed. Then the button came again. I flagged it again.

Now after a few days i went back and see the job post still there. Why hasn't it been taken down yet?"

That's simply how the flag button works. Don't over-think it. Flagging the job is not necessarily going to remove the job posting immediately.

In the future, please only flag a job one time. After that, your work is done.

You do not need to check back to see if a job posting is still online. For one thing, you may not be able to tell if the job posting has been "removed" or not. Sometimes a URL link you have saved will let you see a posting, even if the posting is no longer active or now longer listed anywhere that other Upwork freelancers can see it.

Julie W Member Since: May 14, 2019
7 of 12

what if the job is already closed. there's no inappropriate flag button

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 12

Julie W wrote:

what if the job is already closed. there's no inappropriate flag button

Then there is nothing to report.

You can also report individual messages in your message thread.

Highlighted
Lucio Ricardo M Member Since: May 16, 2018
9 of 12

Free work, it is an issue. that is the reason why I abandoned other freelancing platform. the client asked me the work in the messaging service of such platform, without signing contract, I give him advance of the work, and he never got back to me. In exchange here in Upwork when a client, of those annoying ones that remain irresponsive for days and days, didn't respond to my verbal paying request in Messages, I took the case to the Upwork suppport team, and 10 minutes later the client came in contact with me, with an excuse that his credit card got damaged (aha, and I was born yesterday). Doing free work is violating the Upwork Terms of Service, so that, when a client ask for work that goes beyond bibliographic research about the project requirements, you can discharge yourself saying that it is an Upwork rule. Because there are abusive and dishonest clients, they exists anywhere, and every freelancer task is to show them that these practices are no business.

Also when clients submit a $100 fixed price project, but the does and debugs of this project result extending for weeks, it comes out no business, but it is other issue, the how to estimate and negotiate the contract price ant whether is valid to make adjustments on the way.

Sedona D Member Since: Jul 31, 2019
13 of 12

Hi. I have a very serious matter that I need to discuss with upwork, as soon as I possibly can! I have a client that I have cut ties with because of his behavior and what has occurred the last few days. It is far too much to type, but this man is a sexual predator and he has posed a fake project, and a fake company, and tried to prey on the models I hired for the project. He created a great story that led me to trust him despite my paranoia about strange men. But I did really like him. He has proven to just be a liar. His name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**  and he needs to be reported immediately. He didn’t do anything worthy of calling the authorities, but he does have my address and he has tried to take major advantage of the strange situation he created. I am worried he will do it again on this site. Please help. I’d like to discuss this on the phone with someone immediately.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS