Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Job Post

jeupereira
Ace Contributor
João P Member Since: May 23, 2017
1 of 10

Hi all,

During a job search I found a post offering 5 star rating as part of the reward/payment for the project:

"I will leave a lot of 5* reviews so that you will be able to get jobs easier in the future and this is a long-term position. Once we have done the first batch of 10 we could continue if everything looks good."

Not sure if it against Upwork ToS, but it looks very unprofessional. I've flagged the job post would like to see further action taken.

thanks,

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 10

Leave it and don't report it. The scourge will bid on it and starve themselves out of the market. 

jeupereira
Ace Contributor
3 of 10

haha Jennifer. It just looks so dishonest! I'm on a hunt tonight for odd job posts! Smiley Happy

jeupereira
Ace Contributor
4 of 10

And another one, requesting work before aproving a proposal.

"I need your advise on where to put the logo. it is in there currently twice. the vertical one is the correct one to use.

how else would you redesign it? using what we have to look better. please send pics of what you suggest"

Again, It would be great to talk to a moderator to act on these posts.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 10

João,

Generally, it's not against the ToS for a client to note that they often give 5-star feedback on their contracts. You can also check that information in their Work History.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jeupereira
Ace Contributor
6 of 10

Hi Valeria,

That's not the message as I read it on the post. The client is stating that will give 5 star rating as part of the project.
I can accept it's not against Upwork rules, but it's certainly unethical.

thanks,

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 10

Feedback manipulation is both unprofessional and a violation of Upwork ToS.

I'm not going to comment on whether this particular job posting violates ToS. (I have not seen the posting.)

But as a freelancer, I would not bid on the job of any client who so openly telegraphs her intention to manipulate me and manipulate Upwork using feedback in a "weaponized" way.

I'm more interested in clients who:

- hire me to do a job

- pay me money when the job is done

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
BEST ANSWER
8 of 10

Let's be more specific than to say that clients are allowed to note that they "often" give five-star feedback.

Freelancers in these forums (self included) have previously made a fuss about jobs postings in which clients have specifically offered to give five-star feedback, not merely noted that they often do so. In fact, we have expressed great consternation at job postings in which clients have EXPLICITLY offered to give five-star feedback IN PLACE of, or at least in partial recompense for, cash compensation. 

Our consternation has been met with the official word that such conduct by clients is acceptable and does not constitute "feedback manipulation," because it (a) is offered by a client and not by a freelancer, and (b) is offered prior to a contract being established and work being completed.

My own consternation remains, but I have grudgingly accepted the official policy. Let us not, however, sugar-coat or soft-pedal the limits of what is allowed to go on.

View solution in original post

jeupereira
Ace Contributor
9 of 10

Back to this again:

New job post requesting Free Work: "I am willing to pay good money for the right logo, but we are only paying, if we use your logo. And I do not seek applicants, I seek suggestions for a logo. Think of this job ad as a logo competition."

"PLEASE DO NOT SEND APPLICATIONS WITHOUT ATTACHING A SUGGESTION OF A NEW LOGO TO CODE RESOURCING."

How can this be not considered as spec work?
Fellow freelancers, value your time and work!!

stay alert

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 10

Just flag it as asking for free work and move on. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS